Should I really change my jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I really change my jets?

I posted a message earlier in the week about having the wrong main jets in my bike. Seeing as how the main jets don't affect the idle circuit, should I bother to replace them with the right jets for my bike? As far as Im concerned, the bike ran great at a WOT (wide open throttle) with no visible signs of running rich. Its just my idle circuit that's running rich.

If I have to change the jets, its going to cost me like $130 for the main jets, and the float valves....i think I'll PASS for now...

Just looking for opinions!
    Thanks,
    Al

better to run rich than lean!!!

Comment

what gs model do you have? jets are cheap cheap from cycle recycle

Comment

It doesn't sound like you need different jets. It sounds like you need to adjust the pilot mixture screws. If that doesn't work you may have to replace the jets or the needles if they are mismatched. As Gary suggested needles that are too small for the jets will suck extra fuel.

Blaine [/img]

Comment

Try the pilot screws, if that dont work, try the pilot air jet, little air jet in air box/filters side of carb, maybe your not getting enough air for that fuel.

Comment

No no no....
            my bike is running rich at idle because I believe the float valves are bad. Im purchasing new float valves BUT in the mean time, I noticed my main jets are no the correct main jets for my particular model. I posted about this a few days ago, but I guess I didn't re-clarify the situation.

Anyway, I was just asking if it was worth my while and money to replace the main jets with the main jets that should be for my bike. My bike is an '85 550LF and the main jets in my carb are for the LD model of the same year.

I know why the bike is running rich at idle...but I just wanted an opionion if I should change the main jets even though it appears to be running fine at a wide open throttle where the main jets play their role.

Comment

Re: Should I really change my jets?

I think you just answered your own question. :-) If the spark plug center ceramic is burning anywhere between tan to dark brown, then all is well.
              The engine couldnt care less what number your jets say, if the mixture is withing normal range, the color will be correct and there is nothing to fix.
              If it runs fine, dont "fix it".

Earl

Originally posted by granny_rocket
              I posted a message earlier in the week about having the wrong main jets in my bike. Seeing as how the main jets don't affect the idle circuit, should I bother to replace them with the right jets for my bike? As far as Im concerned, the bike ran great at a WOT (wide open throttle) with no visible signs of running rich. Its just my idle circuit that's running rich.

If I have to change the jets, its going to cost me like $130 for the main jets, and the float valves....i think I'll PASS for now...

Just looking for opinions!
              Thanks,
              Al
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
              X