What make of chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What make of chain?

OK, now that I've decided to go ahead and change my chain and sprockets, what make does the majority prefer?

I plan on using Sunstar sprockets as I've had luck with them in the past.

For chains,do I go with Tsubaki, EK, Regina or

Also, I want to change my gearing to get better highway mileage. I got enough power so that's not an issue, so what sprocket set-up ?.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

I prefer Tsubaki chain as it seems to last longer and not stretch nearly as quickly as others. For the sprockets, I would just go up one tooth on the countershaft sprocket. That would have the same effect as dropping three teeth on the rear sprocket.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Always have good luck with both Sunstar sprockets and Tsubaki chain. I'd go up one tooth on the counter sprocket, less difference in the number of links and not as tight a turn radius on the chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary
        Always have good luck with both Sunstar sprockets and Tsubaki chain. I'd go up one tooth on the counter sprocket, less difference in the number of links and not as tight a turn radius on the chain.
        Ill go with the one tooth on the countershaft sprocket also. As long as you are changing sprockets also Doug have you considered making the conversion to a 530 chain??? These modern ones are very strong.

Comment

Im using RK on my gs1150

I just installed a RK 630 chain I had to shorten the chain by 10 links it was 160 dollars Canadian, ive onbly had the bike for aweek and ive just changed the chain and sprokets.....so Ill let you know

Comment

Differences??

These questions always interest me.... In this day and age, and as competitive as companies are....is it really likely that there would be any significant difference (dollar for dollar) between one maker and another??

I don't pretend to know...but it seems SO unlikely. When it comes to chains.....there ain't no secrets!! :roll:
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I've had good luck with Tsubaki and DID. The RK stretched way too easy.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Used DID myself for years. They seem so good I just never tried another brand!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: Differences??

I think its probable that as long as you pick a chain with a minimum of 10,000 lbs tensile strength, chain life will be about the same. The chain on my 750 is rated at 12,500 lbs. Besides being kept lubed, that is likely the primary reason I have not had to adjust the chain in about 10,000 miles.

Earl

Originally posted by chuckycheese
                  These questions always interest me.... In this day and age, and as competitive as companies are....is it really likely that there would be any significant difference (dollar for dollar) between one maker and another??

I don't pretend to know...but it seems SO unlikely. When it comes to chains.....there ain't no secrets!! :roll:
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                  X