Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OEM Replacement Parts Cross-Reference Resource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Replacement Parts Cross-Reference Resource?

I am fixing up a 1982 GS550L for my dad. I have a Clymer manual and I have already performed the carb cleanup. Does anyone know of a good crossreference site (or just has the info I am looking for) to tell me what OEM replacement parts I need. I am looking to replace both sprockets and the chain. I have taken them off the bike and the rear sprocket has 49-530 stamped on it (I counted 49 teeth and I know 530 is some sort of chain designation). The front sprocket has 5? stamped on it (the second character is a 3 or 5 or 6 or 8 or 9 - it is round on the lower portion of the number, but that is all that I can see) and has 15 teeth. I have found similar parts listed at JC Whitney (but my year and make are not in the sprocket listing). Could someone please confirm that I can use a 50-530 rear sprocket for a 108 chain (I counted 108 pins). I am making the assumption that a 530 chain will fit any 530 sprocket and that with more teeth on the rear sprocket, you will get quicker accelleration but rev higher at the same mph. This bike will only be used for sub 60 mph, curvey road fun. (Any suggestions for a different sprocket selection?) Will the bolt holes on the sprocket line up with my rear wheel?

There has to be an OEM parts list cross reference somewhere (enter make, model, year and it will spit out all the OEM parts). Please help me find it.

I do want to get these parts on order before I forget how to put all the parts back together.

Thanks all,
    BK

I will recommend to you what was recomended to me on this site, and what I have since used a few times. - - BikeBandit.com.
    Select Make, year, model and then select from a list of general areas of bike; and it displays microfische picture with part numbers. Can then order parts (have to write down part number, and then enter on order form). Has many Suzuki GS models as far as I have seen. I like it because I dont have to go to far away dealer and describe it to kid acrost the counter.
    This is of course for the original stock parts, so that is not the complete answer to the other portion of your question as far as what other sprockets are usable.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Bikebandit is fairly comprehensive, but some of their fiche scans are absolute cr@p. Just a heads-up.

Comment

i've had great luck -- and that's what it is!! -- at my local suzuki dealership parts dept.. the guy isn't shy when it comes to printing-out the microfiche pages then giving me the page and part nos. for reference.

Comment

Thanks for your comments guys, but Bike Bandit is not helpful for chain and sprocket for a 1982 GS550L. Am I correct in the assumptions listed in the original post?
          Thanks,
          BK

Comment

Try checking with these people
            Shop the best selection of motorcycle chain, sprockets & chain kits at Sprocket Center. We take the guesswork out of replacing your sprockets & chain. Our made-to-order chain kits for all motorcycle makes/models are available in OEM & custom sizes.

Comment

I have mentioned this before and I will do so again. I have a bike shop that will look up your parts, they have microfiche on all the old Suzuki bikes. They can find out if your part is still available and with a credit card you can order the parts through them and they WILL have them shipped directly to you. They are good honest people and I have never had a problem with them. 1st Turn Cycle Shop in Crowley Louisiana at 1-337-788-1818. Like I said I highly recommend them. 8am to 5pm Central Time Mon~Fri. They have a website http://www.first-turn.com/

Comment

Working...
              X