n°2 black spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n°2 black spark plug

Ciao to All, my bike works very good (gs1000g) but I have problem with N°2 spark plug, it be wet, black and stinking of fuel. I have rebuilt N°2 carburetor, float height ok, o-ring pilot screw new, pilot screw turn out of 1 and 3 / 4, pilot jet plug new. Fuel petcock is new, I have also opened Therefore, being all perfect. Coil + wire + spark plug cap new. What to look again?

excuse my English, google translation
    Last edited by waltergs1000; 09-22-2009, 06:11 AM.
    Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

I see from earlier posts that you have a 1980 bike. That will have the BS series carbs. If you are counting properly, from left to right (clutch hand to throttle hand), your #2 carb is the one that supplies vacuum to the petcock to turn on the fuel. Check the diaphragm in the petcock for a leak. If it leaks, it will provide extra gas to #2, causing it to run very rich.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree with the post above. try putting a vacuum cap on the vacuum port on the petcock and plug the end of the vacuum line with a small bolt then turn the petcock to prime so that no vacuum is required to flow fuel to the carbs and run the bike again with a new plug in that cylinder and see if it cleans up.

Comment

Or just draw a vacuum on the vacuum port of the petcock with a syringe or something and let it dangle for a while, see if any gas comes out. (Block the fuel line first) It should stay dry as a bone.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ok I try it and inform you thanks!
          Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Or just get some clear (trasparent) fuel line to use as a vacuum from your petcock to intake, that way you can look and see if there is any fuel transfer.

Comment

petckock is perfect. I tried for several hours as in photography, and syringe
              be perfectly dry. I have 4 Carburetor gs1100g, dismount a pilot
              screw from here and install on my gs1000g...?
              Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

I understand the problem, but I don't understand what solution you are proposing.

It may be that the tip of the needle is broken off. Check that also.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have replaced needle and again o-ring, I have to just try, I hope next weekend
                  Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Looking at your plugs, number 3 looks just as dark as number 2. Number 1 and 4 look much lighter and I assume burning correctly (hard to rely on pics).
                    I'm wondering if you have a weak coil to 2/3 and minor differences are making number 2 foul out but actually both 2/3 are firing weak. Weak spark will allow raw fuel to exist too.
                    Not sure about bypassing the infamous '80 petcock. Most petcocks with a suspected vacuum line leak you simply plug the vacuuum and run the bike on prime to see if the problem clears. On the '80 petcock, the factory manual says that even on prime the engine must be cranked to initiate fuel flow, which means you'd have to have the vacuum line connected(?). I've never actually worked on an '80 petcock so I don't know for sure.
                    Looks like you're trying some tests on it and it's OK? If so, check out the coil to 2/3.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

coils with wires and plug cap be new (500 km), possible bad coil?
                      how to check?

I can not test drive it rains here!
                      Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Working...
                      X