Carb tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb tuning

Ok, well last night was a long one for me, I finally got the oring kit and took my carbs apart cleaned and then rebuilt. Now if I read correctly on the forums we turn the pilot screw 1.5 - 2 turns out from seated. I have done that, and then today when I get home I will bench sync them, as well as check float level(forgot last night). Only prob is I dont have a Carb tune tool. Is there any one in the MDW are that has one that can help me tune my carbs? I can help out where ya need as a favor in return for using your tuner. If so please PM me thanks Mike.

Did you "clean" them all in one night?

Don't worry about tuning yet, take them back apart and give each carb body an overnight soaking in 'the dip'.

And those "pilot screws" you are speaking of are "idle mixture adjustment screws", and the best starting point is between 2 and 3 turns out from lightly seated.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by outlawfox13 View Post
      Ok, well last night was a long one for me, I finally got the oring kit and took my carbs apart cleaned and then rebuilt. Now if I read correctly on the forums we turn the pilot screw 1.5 - 2 turns out from seated. I have done that, and then today when I get home I will bench sync them, as well as check float level(forgot last night). Only prob is I dont have a Carb tune tool. Is there any one in the MDW are that has one that can help me tune my carbs? I can help out where ya need as a favor in return for using your tuner. If so please PM me thanks Mike.
      Do you mean Carb Vacuum Synchronizing gauges/tubes? I would just buy a set since they will be part of your periodic maintenance routine. Kinda like a spark plug wrench...

Comment

I would agree on the 24 hr dip as I "cleaned" my carbs several times before I broke down and did it somewhat right by soaking the jets and the carb bowls 24 hrs in Gunk Carb dip.
        This fall I am going to do it right by completely disassembling the carbs and soaking them one by one in carb dip for 24 hrs and I hope that next spring I will be rid of the Carburetor gremlins! I am also getting a new vacuum petcock to install next spring to get rid of that potential problem. Then I will go over to my Bud's house and get the use of his Carbtune to tune them and then use my colortune to help me get in the general area. Then I will do some more tweaking to get them just right.

I hope you listen and do it right the first time! It can save you a bunch of non riding

Good Luck

Comment

I have already dipped them. I have a parts washer at my job and I used that, I had it in there for like 2 hrs, I should have everything clean, cause that thing will strip the blueing off a gun lol. Thats why I am looking for some one local who has a color tune. If not then I will have to wait and buy one.

Comment

I have already dipped them. I have a parts washer at my job and I used that, I had it in there for like 2 hrs, I should have everything clean, cause that thing will strip the blueing off a gun lol. Thats why I am looking for some one local who has a color tune. If not then I will have to wait and buy one.
            Um, it took me four days to rebuild mine.

Step 1 I Un-assembled number one, soaked for 24 hours or so. Next day I cleaned the parts right from the can according to the tutorial and re-assembled and set on the table in the order from which it came. Un-assembled number 2 and put in the can.
            Step 2 repeat step 1 untill you dont have anymore carbs left to clean.
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

24 hrs per carb

24 hrs and no less---2 hrs in a parts washer didn't do it near enough good. If you want them clean follow the advise

Comment

Well it did work really good, the bike is running great. This winter I'll break it down again and soak it for 24 each, but untill then I am having a blast riding. THanks again for advice.

Comment

OK well this is a bump for my thread.

Edit: since last post I have torn the carbs down soaked for 26 hrs, (were in a parts washer so I could soak all at once) and have done the valve adjustments. All are set at 0.004".

Now is there anyone in the Baltimore/DC area that has a carb tune? Or a home made one(that has worked with good results)? That can help me tune my bike. I am pretty proficient with mechanical work or carpentry. I am sure we could work out a deal. Please PM me if you have one. I can ride the bike to you. Mike

Comment

One thing I ran into is if the pilot air jet is plugged the carb cleaner wont touch it. I finally figured it out and ran some .009 guitar string thru & spray carb cleaner to get it to run on #1. Maybe Im just a dumass though, just thought Id mention it. PO had ruined the idle mixture screw heads so I had to build one set of carbs out of three and the #1 was plugged up even after soaking 24 hrs in carb cleaner.

Comment

I have already dipped them. I have a parts washer at my job and I used that, I had it in there for like 2 hrs, I should have everything clean, cause that thing will strip the blueing off a gun
                      Just because it will "strip the blueing off a gun" does NOT mean that it will dissolve the junk left by evaporating gas.

There is a very simple reason there are so many different cleaners and solvents on the market nowadays. You have to use a solvent that matches what you are working with. It would be nice if your parts cleaner happened to clean your carbs for you, but I would try to stick to something that has been proven to work many times.

Now, how far apart did you have the carbs when you dipped the whole rack in the parts cleaner? If you had ANY rubber parts left in them, don't count on them working much longer. One of the reasons for completely dismantling the rack is so that you can also change all the rubber o-rings while you have them apart for dipping. Your rubber parts might be OK as long as you keep the parts together, but I have a feeling that if you take something apart for inspection, the rubber part will swell up and you won't be able to put it back together. Just be sure to have a new set of o-rings on hand when you do them again this winter. Best source is cycleorings.com.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Just because it will "strip the blueing off a gun" does NOT mean that it will dissolve the junk left by evaporating gas.

There is a very simple reason there are so many different cleaners and solvents on the market nowadays. You have to use a solvent that matches what you are working with. It would be nice if your parts cleaner happened to clean your carbs for you, but I would try to stick to something that has been proven to work many times.

Now, how far apart did you have the carbs when you dipped the whole rack in the parts cleaner? If you had ANY rubber parts left in them, don't count on them working much longer. One of the reasons for completely dismantling the rack is so that you can also change all the rubber o-rings while you have them apart for dipping. Your rubber parts might be OK as long as you keep the parts together, but I have a feeling that if you take something apart for inspection, the rubber part will swell up and you won't be able to put it back together. Just be sure to have a new set of o-rings on hand when you do them again this winter. Best source is cycleorings.com.

The carbs were completely dissassebled and dipped for 26 hrs. I replaced all o-rings and sprayed and used the special tool as described on BassCliff's site. Carbs are cleaned and the bike has had the valves adjusted.

Please stop assuming that the carbs are not clean. I have reposted below that I SOAKED FOR 26 HRS!!! If all you are gonna do is bash me then please don't reply all I am looking for is someone local who can help me tune my carbs since I am low on funds. If I wassn't low on cash I would buy the morgan carb tune and not ask since I am getting the third degree from some ppl.

Thanks Mike

Comment

How does the bike run?
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Bike is running good, but does not have full power. I am sure that the sync is off, other then that I am super happy with it. I have also replaced some gaskets to stop my minor oil leaks. I just can't believe where the bike is now and how it was when I got it from PO.

Comment

Cool, as long as you're happy with it.
                              If it was bench sync'd close it should run really good. Even at full power.

Folk just trying to help, no bashing..

If its not running at least 98% PERFECT then something aint right. I dont think its the sync if you bench sync'd it according to directions.
                              I sync'd mine holding it up to the sunlight and it runs great.
                              So good I think I've burned up the clutch, the thing hauls.
                              I went through 3 sets of plugs during the tuning process.
                              Wide open throttle sounds more like a needle or main jet setting.
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Working...
                              X