X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: revolution

Originally posted by propflux01
    Originally posted by Mark Harrop

Thanks for the info guys. But why is there no selection of bearing shells for my GS or gixxer 750?
    Thats because so many wore out so quick they cannot keep up with demand....(sorry, I just couldn't resist!) :twisted:

Seriously though, bikes are always like this and it *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$es me off. With cars there is a whole industry supplying reconditioned this, that and the other. With bikes I think the manufacturers want you to do 2000 miles a year max on sunny days and then throw it away after a couple of years and buy a new one.
    I think the Japs think that their engines will never go wrong. To some extent they're right, and this together with the fact that relatively few bikes are sold anyway means that there's not enough demand to make supply of oversize bearing shells viable.

Here's a thing too; Suzuki go to all the trouble of putting roller bearings on their cranks, and then run the cams directly in the head! To make things worse, because the cranks got rollers, there's hardly any oil pressure in the system to get oil up to the top end. Crazy!

Comment

Last roller engine I can think of that used cam bearings was a kawasaki Z-1. Have to admit HP wise the GS is a far superior engine but those Z-1`s were tough as heck. Stright cut gear on the hub,steel clutch hub,camshaft bearings....dang good engine. I may try and locate one someday...actually found a black 80 model Z-1R locally....yeah I feel that painful feeling of my wife raising the roof...maybe she won`t see it for a few months. 8O

Comment

Working...
      X