wont stay running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont stay running

I have a 1981 gs650 that I am turning into a bobber, first things first though it has to run good, so Ive looked at diagrams, and checked the fuel lines, cleaned the floats. it has two fuel lines(correct any of this if Im wrong please)the small line goes to the top of the carb, and the big one feeds the carbs...next there are 3 different nipples, 1 between carb 1&2 one between 2&3 and 1 between 3&4, so is the middle one a drain tube? and do I need to T off the main fuel line to the other two?? I can get it to run when I hool it up to the outside nipples but wont idle...help please.......

MIKE...between carb 2 and 3 (counting from left to right as you are sitting in the bike ) There are TWO nipples..The small one goes from there to the small one on the fuel petcock. The BIGGER one goes to the larger fuel outlet on the petcock. The other small, ones on the far left and the far right, are carb vents. You run a piece of vacuum line from these down between the tranny case and the swingarm and let them dangle there..DO NOT PLUG THEM WITH ANYTHING... simply stuff them down there and let them VENT the carbs
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

PS... Once you get them hooked up in the right order set the petcock to the PRI position and wait about a minute. This PRIMES the carbs so there is gas in all the bowls. You can then put the petcock to the ON position, choke the bike , and start it .
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mike7498,

You'll want to see the Where Do These Hoses Go? article on my website. Now let me say "Hi"!

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

so I hooked them up in the right order and now it wont fire without the help of a little starter fluid, not sure if this matters but Im running pods and just head pipes right now, maybe jetting or air mixture?? just seems wierd that it will start of the fuel drain nipple but not the actual inlet

Comment

First thing - put away the starter fluid. You'll do nothing but burn up your top end and pistons.

Your problem is exactly what you said it was yourself - you're running straight pipes(no backpressure) with pod filters and either one of those things by itself is enough to royally screw up the air/fuel mixture.. If you want to run non-stock filter and exhaust arrangements you *must* rejet and retune the carbs. There is absolutely no way for it to run properly with those modifications unless you do.

Comment

Working...
            X