X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Ratio

Would anyone know what the final rear hub drive ratio is? Gene

What bike?

Most of them are about 3.09, but the '82-and-up 1100GKs had a 2.9.

Other differences were in the transmission ratios and the secondary drive ratios.

What are you trying to accomplish?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by genejohnson View Post
      Would anyone know what the final rear hub drive ratio is? Gene
      as steve asks, what is your motive and what bike is it?
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Thinking of constructing a trike from 80 GS850. Just curious about ratio in stock rear hub. I didn't see it written in the manual. Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          What bike?

Most of them are about 3.09, but the '82-and-up 1100GKs had a 2.9.

Other differences were in the transmission ratios and the secondary drive ratios.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Hi Steve,

Make that '83 and up 1100G's for the 2.9 ratio.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Hi Steve,

Make that '83 and up 1100G's for the 2.9 ratio.
            Correction noted.

Info assimilated.

So the Gs were included, not just the GKs?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by genejohnson View Post
              Thinking of constructing a trike from 80 GS850.
              Are you building a "reverse trike" with two wheels up front and one in the rear?

If you plan on having two in the rear, I'm quite sure that a standard motorcycle final drive unit will work. It is meant to be right next to the one wheel that it's powering. If you do this with a solid axle to power both rear wheels, you will not have a differential, which will make it VERY hard to steer.

On the other hand, a reverse trike, like the Can-Am Spyder, would make an interesting project. We will definitely need pictures of that.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah, I remember that one being posted a while back, but if memory serves, it wasn't a stock final drive.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I'm planning on a show type trike with an automobile rear end. I wanted to know what ratio the rear hub was because I wanted to keep a ratio as close to stock as possible. My search now is to find the smallest and lightest rear end possible with a simular ratio. I will have the axles and housing narrowed. I want to use (for the look that I want) 14 inch wide rear tires. Since the tires will be smaller, that will have to be considered when the rear end ratio is considered. I have the 850 frame but haven't decided to utilize it or not yet. It's not the most attractive around. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Gene

Comment

You using tires that are 14" WIDE or have a 14" wheel diameter?

Before you start choosing a ratio to compensate for the wheel size, make sure you are comparing the same overall diameter, not wheel size. Most car tires are a bit taller from rim to tread, so the overall height of a 14" car tire might be about the same as a 16" or 17" bike tire.

Not sure if they are the smallest or lightest differentials available, but most of the trike manufacturers for Goldwings use Ford products. If you want to try something to be different, look for the rear differential in a front-engined car that is normally front-wheel drive, but has an AWD option. Honda CR-V, Subaru, Toyota RAV4, just to give a few ideas. You will have to decide whether they look good, but they should be strong enough to handle the loads you intend to put on them.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks Steve, I realize what is involved in determining the ratio. I just have a find a rear end that is light as possible and has the ratio needed or the gear changability to achieve it. I want regular forks up front and a narrow width rear. Just enough room between the tires to mount the rear to the bike or built up chasis. Low to the ground per racing sidecars. Gene

Comment

Working...
                        X