Dynotjet Kit info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynotjet Kit info

When I got the 1150, it had a V&H 4-1 on it. I traded that exhaust with a forum member for an OEM, as I like the dual exhaust and think the V&H is a bit too loud for my taste.

The original carb rack that came with the bike had been messed up pretty badly, as the PO attempted drilling out the aluminum plugs over the mixture screws and in the process just ended up burying the screws to the point where they couldn't be removed. I bought a new rack and started fresh with stock settings excepting 122.5 mains in all four carbs.

Just for fun I looked at the old rack today and found 138 mains in all four. This looks like a stage-3 Dynojet kit was installed. Looking at the specs of the kit for the 1100/1150, it should also come with what they are calling pilot air jets size DH116. What are these, exactly?

Also, the air screws on the front were all 160's. Is this stock? Anything else I should be looking for besides the mains and the shimmed needles?

Looking in my box o' carb goodies, I also seem to have four 137.5 mains and two 132.5's.

I also believe I have a 16v 750 dynojet kit with all the parts. Just need to find out what comes in that kit and check it against the box.

Comment

Look athe needles on that old rack - should be pretty evident if they're the DJ ones or stock.

The DJ ones will be much more tapered & pointy, with height adjustment grooves...

Also, I believe the 160 air jets are the stock size...
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

The vacuum slides on the original rack already had the needles installed I'm assuming, as they're the metal ones, not the stock plastic ones.

Looks like the 160's are optional additions in the kit to lean out the low end if necessary. I think those *may* be the "pilot air jets" the kit lists with the 116 number.

Is that all there is to a DJ kit? Main jet, needle and spacer and the pilot air jet?

Comment

I'm installing a stage 3 kit right now on my 1100EX. It came with a "new in the box" DJ kit when I bought this old girl. The box contains:
          4 different sized mains (4 ea) (DJ138 is the largest)
          4 DJ jet needles with e-clips & sm. washers
          4 pilot air jets (DJ ??)
          1 drill bit for drilling the vent hole in the slides bigger.
          1 drill bit to drill through the factory caps over the mixture screw (if needed)
          Maybe some other stuff, but I don't have it in front of me at the moment...

The OEM jet needles are all metal (gold colored anodized aluminum) as far as I know - the DJ ones have more taper & are silver in color.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            I'm installing a stage 3 kit right now on my 1100EX. It came with a "new in the box" DJ kit when I bought this old girl. The box contains:
            4 different sized mains (4 ea) (DJ138 is the largest)
            4 DJ jet needles with e-clips & sm. washers
            4 pilot air jets (DJ ??)
            1 drill bit for drilling the vent hole in the slides bigger.
            1 drill bit to drill through the factory caps over the mixture screw (if needed)
            Maybe some other stuff, but I don't have it in front of me at the moment...

The OEM jet needles are all metal (gold colored anodized aluminum) as far as I know - the DJ ones have more taper & are silver in color.
            Yup, looks like I have it all. (Excepting I only have the 138 mains)

Thanks!

Comment

FYI - found this on the internet showing DJ vs. Mikuni jet sizes... don't know how accurate it is:

'85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

That table is very interesting. If the center column (DJ sizes) is metric hole dia. then my experience says the Mikuni column may be out.
                At least for the large round - headed mainjets, the earlier hex head ones may tally with the sizes given.
                My experience says the Mikuni mains are slightly smaller than the equivalent metric size up to about #155 - that is a # 140 say, will be just less than 1.40mm dia.
                Above about #155 the bore will be slightly larger than the equivalent metric size - a #160 will be slightly bigger than 1.60mm.
                My experience comes from about 30years of setting up carbs for all manner of fuels from gas to Methanol including roadrace motors with high percentages of Nitro - ah those were the days - ha.
                I still have my drill set 1.0 - 3.0 mm in .05 mm steps - cost a bit but it was needed to set up a bike or TQ without buying huge nos. of jets.

Greg T

Comment

Working...
                X