No dip for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    you guys start your own threads...octain might get miffed i am still looking for the button so i can getb some proper advise on how to store carbs for long term. the thred tool thingy doesnt show me where its at..where is it??
    Remove the floatbowl drain plug and drain all the gas, put the carbs in a plastic bag, and put the bag in a box. Done.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Holy cow Nessism!
      I've recently rebuilt the VM's on my new 550E, and I thought they were gunky...though I had no basis of comparison. They were sparkling compared to those bad boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Remove the floatbowl drain plug and drain all the gas, put the carbs in a plastic bag, and put the bag in a box. Done.

Thats hows the carbs were on my new bike, stored in a box, inside a bag since 1992... Pulled them out, still sparkling, free moving etc.

Comment

Originally posted by beetle View Post
          OK, so I'm in the process of dismantling and cleaning my carbs. Slight problem: there's no dip to be had. Ok, so you can't buy Berrymans or similar carb dip here in this Great Southern Land, but you can get Yamaha's Yamalube Carburetor Dip - except you can't. No Yamaha dealer within reasonable distance stocks ANY kind of Yamalube. Too expensive they says. They'll order it for me, provided I buy the minimum 12 bottles...

So, anybody here know a good alternative to brand name dip? My first thought was acetone. Any ideas?

My carbs weren't very dirty so I used an aerosol chemical made by CRC called Carb and choke Cleaner. For more serious work you might check in your area for an automotive shop that does carb repair. They may have a 5 gallon can of the cold dip chemical and may be willing to dip your carbs for a small price. If so make sure they only use the chemical for carbs and it hasn't been comtaminated by rusted or painted parts.

This chemical works well for very dirty parts but as someone else has noted it will attack and swell rubber parts so remove them before dipping.

Pat
          78' GS1000EC
          79' GS850GN
          79' GS1000N
          79' GS1000EN
          81' GS1100EX

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't dip in carb cleaner like Sea foam.... Expensive probably & mineral spirits (White spirit) would probably be just as good.

Just a thought... has anyone tried soaking in petrol / Gas?? Seems like that would soften the worst of it & spray cleaner could do the rest. This should work for the same reason you can clean off the worst of grease with a penetrating oil....

Agree with pulling all the small parts out & soaking in spray cleaner sprayed into a jar.

For storage I agree with Ed. If you wanted to be really careful you could take apart, blow passagessthrough with carb cleaner & allow to dry first before bagging.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Charcoal lighter fluid.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                What would you suggest would be proper procedures for putting them into a long term storage senario?
                What do you mean by long term? If it's over the winter then I just fill the tank with gas then add STA-BIL, run it awhile to get the STA-BIL everywhere.
                I used to spray fogging oil inside the pistons through the spark plug holes but don't bother anymore. If it's for longer then I'd use the fogger.

Comment

Working...
                X