Bike is running Rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is running Rich

I have a V&H 4 to 1 header on my GS1100e. I have not had the carbs apart to look at the jetting.
    I am having a problem with the plugs fouling with a rich condition.
    I have adjusted valves. the question I have with a 4-1 header and stock jets would the bike run lean or rich ?

If lean, then what should I look at next ?

Originally posted by mbradford99 View Post
    I have a V&H 4 to 1 header on my GS1100e. I have not had the carbs apart to look at the jetting.
    I am having a problem with the plugs fouling with a rich condition.
    I have adjusted valves. the question I have with a 4-1 header and stock jets would the bike run lean or rich ?

If lean, then what should I look at next ?
    Most likely lean or little to no effect.

Stage two kit or you may get away with bumping the jet needles up a bit.

Comment

So what would cause a rich condition ? ignition ? wires ? help .......

also, what would going 1 plug hotter do ? or could that possibly solve the issue ?

Comment

Have you done any carb work on it? How long had it been sitting before you bought it and put it back on the road? Possibly you have old gummy fuel deposits in the carb bowls causing your floats to stick (1 or more carbs, do a plug chop to find out which cylinder) or even bad float valves allowing fuel to leak by when they should be closed. More people will chime in here with more things to look at shortly, I'm sure.

Comment

Also have you verified that the petcock is working correctly? Did the bike come with the 4-1? Was it rejetted for the pipe and maybe didn't need to be? Pods? Over oiled air filter?

Comment

have had bike since July. It came with the 4to1, I have not done any carb work at all.
            It has new petcock, that I installed. stock filter (New) no air leaks that I can see or tell.

Comment

Look at jetting, float levels, fuel levels, intake system, all of it. Anything can effect this. I had one where the PO had stuffed steel wool into the collector of the 4-1, it ran very rich, and would only do about 50 mph, on a long down hill straight. Start by pulling the carbs to see what's inside.

It's very likely someone "jetted" it for the pipe without any knowledge of jetting, went way too far, got things way too rich.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mbradford99 View Post
                also, what would going 1 plug hotter do ? or could that possibly solve the issue ?
                You could put hotter plugs in, but you would just be putting a Band-aid on top of a Band-aid.
                Much better to fix the real problem and use the proper plugs.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                X