blowing fuse after coil relay mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blowing fuse after coil relay mod

finally got my 82 gs1100g running(rescued from junkyard) performed all recomened tune ups.installed new dyna coils.dyna s,and coil relay mod.took the bike for a couple of victory laps and everything was fine.taped all the wires back up and started it again.washed the bike and started it right back up.after a couple of hours i tried to start it and every time i turn the kill switch on it will pop the inline fuse on my relay mod.thought i would let it dry overnight but it is still doing it this morning. thanks in advance for any help.

sounds like water has got into the wiring somewhere,shorting it out. ran fine before you washed it but water could have found its way down to a connection somewhere and the newly fitted tape could be trapping it in there.
    check all your new wiring mods and make sure you use water proof connectors. liberal amounts of WD40 may help too
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

The other thing may be melted insulation. Perhaps initially it hadn't heated up enough to cause a problem but after several starts and accumulated running time the isulation failed causing a short.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudeman View Post
        The other thing may be melted insulation. Perhaps initially it hadn't heated up enough to cause a problem but after several starts and accumulated running time the isulation failed causing a short.
        If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on this. What gauge of wire did you use for all the runs on your coil mod and what rating of fuse? Where did you route your wiring?

Once thing to try is to unplug your new wires from the coil, and flip the switch with a test light across the fuse holder. If it lights, your hot is grounding out somewhere between there and the coil.

Comment

fender freak i used a mini 20 amp fuse and 16 ga auto wire.i ran the ground from the relay to the black and white harness ground
          Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2009, 03:50 PM.

Comment

The materials are quite sufficient then. Are you using a relay socket or just blade connectors into the relay?

Try the test light trick and see if you can isolate the fault to something between the coil and the battery.

Comment

Hi,

Did you get water in your relay?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X