Looking for a couple random engine parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a couple random engine parts

Does anyone know where i could find a dowel ( think that is what it is called) that goes between the jugs and the head? I looked through the manual and couldn't find it specifically.

Also, as i am reassembling my motor, two of the rods that that hold the head on are stuck to the bolts. Does anyone know where i could find one of these also?

Thank you,
    Ameen

Originally posted by ameen View Post
    Does anyone know where i could find a dowel ( think that is what it is called) that goes between the jugs and the head? I looked through the manual and couldn't find it specifically.

Also, as i am reassembling my motor, two of the rods that that hold the head on are stuck to the bolts. Does anyone know where i could find one of these also?

Thank you,
    Ameen
    That's a locating dowel pin. If you have the other one just go to a well stocked m/c shop or auto parts store like Napa where they have big drawers full of that kind of stuff to match up. Also, check the head and make sure one of them isn't just caught in the hole there.
    The "rods" are called threaded studs. Put them in a bench vise, (smooth portion only), tighten securely, use liberal amounts of penetrating oil on the stuck nuts and gradually work the nut right and left, add more penetrating oil, start unscrewing the nut from the stud repeating the process until it is removed. If you happen to scar up the smooth part of the stud in this process, use a mill file to remove the burrs and smooth it out again.
    Now the studs can be re-installed using two nuts double nutted tight to screw them back into the block. Make sure the threads and holes are clean when you do this, and do not, repeat, DO NOT cross thread them as they go back in the block.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

You can still buy the head studs and nuts new from the dealer. They're not a whole lot of money either. I had to cut a few of mine to get the head off the 1000. They're easy to remove/install in the block as Dan said. Just be careful and take your time.

Comment

What are the torque specs for the rods?

Thanks

Comment

What bike do you have?

Different bikes have different specs.

This is why we ask you to add your bike to your signature.

I see you already have your location entered, thanks.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

it is a 82 gs550l

Comment

If Ameen's dowels are the tubular type that studs or screws pass through, then a machine shop or auto parts store will probably not have them. Companies that make them like to sell them by the 1000's. When I needed one this spring, I looked all over. You'll either find them in a dismantled engine, head or cylinders, or you can order them new on-line or at a dealer.

I improvised.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

www.schnitzracingstore.com as in Ryan Schnitz. Look under GS Engine Parts. They have the parts you will need. Solid dowels are superior- tube type will work.
                streetfighters

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                  If Ameen's dowels are the tubular type that studs or screws pass through, then a machine shop or auto parts store will probably not have them. Companies that make them like to sell them by the 1000's. When I needed one this spring, I looked all over. You'll either find them in a dismantled engine, head or cylinders, or you can order them new on-line or at a dealer.

I improvised.
                  define improvised...

Comment

Also where is a good place online that i could fine them?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by streetfighters View Post
                      www.schnitzracingstore.com as in Ryan Schnitz. Look under GS Engine Parts. They have the parts you will need. Solid dowels are superior- tube type will work.
                      streetfighters
                      Originally posted by ameen View Post
                      Also where is a good place online that i could fine them?

Thank you
                      Look at the quote above yours.

Comment

maybe i am retarded, but i cant find them

Comment

Sorry, I didn't check his reference, I didn't really see locating dowel pin either at first. You could try www.denniskirk.com there's a chance that they might have them. They also have a 24/7 phone line for help or ordering.

This is what's available at Schnitz: http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...=19224&count=1 they're for 1100-1150 cc GS engines, I don't know if they're the same size as the 550 or not. They are Suzuki parts, so yours should be available at the dealer as well.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2009, 09:29 AM. Reason: dowels to fit 1100-1150 cc engines

Comment

http://www.bikebandit.com/suzuki-mot...z-1982/o/m6086 looks like number 10 there

Comment

I have some.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X