Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have a guy working on getting motor running, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a guy working on getting motor running, but...

He is taking forever. But first off, I would like to say hi and this is my first post, It has been very difficult to find GS information but I stumbled across a whole community of us. Now...

He has just the motor of my GS450, it was not getting any spark at all. He said it needs a new R/R, but my logic tells me it would still get spark until the battery is dead. He is taking so long on actually fixing it that I am tempted to just do it myself. I am willing to replace whatever components needed to get it running. What are all the parts that control spark prior to the spark plug wires that may need replaced, and where is a good place to buy them (already got ripped off on broken parts on ebay).

Sorry for this, this has just been a frusturating project.

Originally posted by Zhamm717 View Post
    He is taking forever. But first off, I would like to say hi and this is my first post, It has been very difficult to find GS information but I stumbled across a whole community of us. Now...

He has just the motor of my GS450, it was not getting any spark at all. He said it needs a new R/R, but my logic tells me it would still get spark until the battery is dead. He is taking so long on actually fixing it that I am tempted to just do it myself. I am willing to replace whatever components needed to get it running. What are all the parts that control spark prior to the spark plug wires that may need replaced, and where is a good place to buy them (already got ripped off on broken parts on ebay).

Sorry for this, this has just been a frusturating project.
    R/R has nothing to do with spark, go get your bike back.
    Don't know who this fellow is, but a lot of guys are clueless about anything electrical.
    Do it yourself, or get a newer bike.
    Parts are easy to get, Suzuki has everything for a price.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That's what I thought, and I am even new to bikes. Guess I will be giving him a call. But so I were to get new parts that DO have something to due with spark, what would my shopping list look like?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Zhamm717,

But so I were to get new parts that DO have something to due with spark, what would my shopping list look like?
        The year of your bike will determine some of the parts you might need (points vs. electronic ignition). You might need coils, plug caps, igniter, etc. Check my website for a troubleshooting procedure in the Electrical Odds and Ends section. What year is your bike? You might want to put your year and model in your signature file.

I got myself a couple of manuals, and with the help of my friends here, I'm getting to be pretty good at keeping my bike running well. I'll bet you could do the same. So many mechanics are clueless when it comes to a 30 year old motorcycle. Do it yourself, take your time, do it two or three times if you have to (like I have a few times), then at least you'll know it's done right. It will be cheaper too. Now let me say "HOoooooowwDY!"

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

That's what I thought, and I am even new to bikes. Guess I will be giving him a call. But so I were to get new parts that DO have something to due with spark, what would my shopping list look like?
          Once you get the bike back, you can begin to troubleshoot it. Most likely just some bad wire connection someplace, but that would be purely a guess. It's all easy stuff to understand if you have a wiring diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Once you get the bike back, you can begin to troubleshoot it. Most likely just some bad wire connection someplace, but that would be purely a guess. It's all easy stuff to understand if you have a wiring diagram.
            Thank you very much BassCliff for that nice greeting.

And thanks, I did wire it and dont think there are any bad connections, because I did it twice checking it pretty well. Im thinking maybe a new Ignitor Unit?

Comment

Your getting ahead of yourself, there are a bunch of things to check before you start buying parts. Get the bike back and have a fully charged battery first then we can start to figure out what is going on with the bike, Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
                Your getting ahead of yourself, there are a bunch of things to check before you start buying parts. Get the bike back and have a fully charged battery first then we can start to figure out what is going on with the bike, Good luck
                I had a fully charged battery, everything wired up correctly, the motor turns over, gets gas. I hooked up an LED to the wires coming out of the CDI and got nothing, so I am confident that the problem is before the coils.

Comment

I had a fully charged battery, everything wired up correctly, the motor turns over, gets gas. I hooked up an LED to the wires coming out of the CDI and got nothing, so I am confident that the problem is before the coils.
                  Did you check for battery voltage at the coils with the key on ? The cdi grounds the coils to produce the spark so those wires won't light up your led.
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

He has just the motor of my GS450, it was not getting any spark at all. He said it needs a new R/R, but my logic tells me it would still get spark until the battery is dead. He is taking so long on actually fixing it that I am tempted to just do it myself..
                    So let me get this straight; U have no spark so your "mechanic" says "it needs an R/R" and he needs to pull the motor out.

By the responsibilities vested in you by membership in GSR you are hereby compelled to go get that motor back . Don't wait for Thursday. The next thing U no he will be trying to charge U for his "professional" services .

I'm almost speechless; but I guess times are hard and people will say anything to make a buck$

Comment

No the motor wasn't even on the frame yet, they were always separate. But yea, he did say its needs an R/R.

Comment

I agree with the rest. GO GET YOUR ENGINE BACK !!!

With all the info here and the knowledgable people, you'll be riding in no time.

Where are you on this big blue planet ? There may be someone around the corner to lend a hand....or a wrench.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

No the motor wasn't even on the frame yet, they were always separate. But yea, he did say its needs an R/R.
                          Still trying to figure out how this mechanic knows the ignition is not working becuase the R/R is not working when the motor is not even in the bike???

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Still trying to figure out how this mechanic knows the ignition is not working becuase the R/R is not working when the motor is not even in the bike???
                            Maybe if the ignitor was somewhere near the engine the ignition would make sparks too.
                            Last edited by tkent02; 09-30-2009, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Maybe if the ignitor was somewhere near the engine it would work too.
                              Well 1/2 the parts ignitor, coils, wiring harness and R/R are still on the bike. The only thing the motor has is the stator but that wont tell you is the R/R is any good.

How does he even know the ignition doesn't work much less what is wrong with it?

We seem to be operating on a lack of information or we have:
                              • the number one GS Bozo mechanic
                              • or #1 GS flim flamer

Comment

Working...
                              X