No announcement yet.

Non GS, non mo'cycle. 2 cycle engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think if you look closely at the mounting surface on the block where the carb bolts on you will find a tiny hole that lines up with a hole on the body of the carb and supplies vacuum to the fuel pump diaphragm in the carb. I have done small engine repair for a number of years and find that even though the diaphragms "look good" they tend to stiffen up when stored and dont operate as they should. would be willing to bet that if you buy a diaphragm kit for that carb and install it, it will fire right up. 2 strokes are neat in the way they operate and what most people dont realize is that the piston is always doing 2 things at once. while the piston is traveling up on the compression stroke fuel/air mixture is being pulled in under the piston. when the piston is on its way down on the power stroke its compressing the fuel under the piston getting it ready to flow through the transfer ports to the combustion chamber.

Comment

here is a good explanation of how a 2 stroke does its thing

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

Have done some reading last night. And studying you guys postings.
        Thanks.
        Yah, that is what I didnt understand about 2 stroke cycle engines. Have to think about what is happening on bothe sides of the piston at the same time.

Mr. SuperSonic,
        I will look for that port. Dont recall there being such. I recall the main carb bore opening that has the flat reed flapper valve in crankcase. Will look to see if there is a small port next to that. IF that small port is not effected by that flapper reed valve, then I can see how it would then see the pressure and vacuum cycle and how that could opperate the gas pump/diaphram thingy.

Tom tkent,
        No isnt any springs in there (at least not on the fuel pump side. There is on the "metering" side). Was not any either when it did work. I see in some manauls/books that others do have springs on the fuel pump portion.
        This is a dinky little thing, carb is about 3/4 inch by 1 inch. Engine is just 2 cubic inches displacment.
        You also said something about if cyclinder scored it may have enough compression to run at high speed but not idle. Hum, maybe that is at low speed doesnt have enough vacuum to to do the intake thru carb. Hum, that sounds kinda like what guy at shop says. .....

BrainWringer & dave388,
        About the fuel line. Actaully is one length in tank to a connector in handle, and another one from that connector and thru the handle to the carb. Had the saw running for a while after replacing the fuel filter in tank. Then gas started running all over the place and could not start it. The fuel line broke where it goes thru the tank side (no connectors, just the fuel line sticking thru a hole in tank, tight fit). Apparently me messing with it to replace the filter previously damaged the line enought that it broke later. Yep, that is how hard and brittle the line in the tank was. So I replaced that line and it ran for just a little bit more (I didnt tell this part of the story before), and then had the problem I described where will not start but will start if but not run if drip some gas in carb.
        The one line in handle to the carb seemed okay. BUt that is also something I am going to look into today. Maybe just run another temperary line from carb into a little can of fuel as a test.

And to all,
        Yah, there are some more things I need to learn about. Such as crankcase seals.

Yah, I now somewhat (not entirely) understand how the crankcase is pressureized and then under vacuum. That is the part of what I did not realize before. The piston while compressing is also pulling a vaccum on crankcase and pulling air thru carb, and then while piston going down/out on power is also pressurizing the crankcase which pushes new mixture in and exhaust out. And apparently this pressure then vaccuum is suppose to operate a fuel pump diaphram.

Carb is a Walbro WA-19A
        Last edited by Redman; 10-01-2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: spellung

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by supersonictoys View Post
          I think if you look closely at the mounting surface on the block where the carb bolts on you will find a tiny hole that lines up with a hole on the body of the carb and supplies vacuum to the fuel pump diaphragm in the carb. I have done small engine repair for a number of years and find that even though the diaphragms "look good" they tend to stiffen up when stored and dont operate as they should. would be willing to bet that if you buy a diaphragm kit for that carb and install it, it will fire right up.........................

SST,

Yep, Okay, I see that now. And the hole there in the base does is located where the reed valve does not effect it, goes right to the crankcase. And does line up with a hole on the fuel pump side of carb. And when pull cord can feel air pulsing out of that hole (and not the bigger hole with the reed valve). And when pull the cord can see the reed valve chattering-vibrating like it is opening and closing, but cant really feel any air being sucked in. Hum.

And here is the "fuel pump" side of the carb.

I noticed the "score" in the cyclinder. Looks more like a mark. Cant even feel it with finger or with a pointy pencil.

Did compression test. Was up to 80-90 in about 4 pulls and up to 110 in about 6 pulls. That seems good enough to me (unless 2 cycle needs lot more).
          So I supect the story they gave me at the shop was just an excuse.
          I am listening more to you guys.

I have now noticed something that is probably a better description of the situation:
          I can choke it and pull 6 or 8 times. Then unchoke it and will start and run for about 2 seconds. Will not start again till I choke and pull again 6 or so times, then unchoke, and will start and run for 2 seconds. I suppose when I choke it like that I am sucking in fuel (sucking not really pumping) and precharging the crankcase with fuel mixture, then it only runs till that is gone.

And I noticed that when I do choke it and pull 6 or 8 times that can see the edge of the gaskets on the fuel pump side and on the meter side both get wet with gas, and then when unckoke and pull cord can see the gas get sucked back inside so the edge of the gasket not so wet. Hum... I took apart and coated the edge of gasket surface with a little bit of grease (as a test, not a fix) and reassembled. Runs a little stronger and a little bit longer, but not much longer. So that tells me I am on the right track. Have ordered a carb "repair kit". SHould have it Monday.

And I include this picture for your amsument (or horror). Ran a seperate gas line from carb to a little can of gas. Everything operated pretty much just the same. So that told me no problem with gas line and fuel filter.

Dave "Redman"
          Last edited by Redman; 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM. Reason: speling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman

I am very familiar with the bigger brother of your Walbro carb, the WB-3A, used on our 100cc 2-stroke racing go-kart. The motor revs to 16,000 rpm and so correct fuel supply is critical to reduce few tenths of a second on lap times. The rubber diaphragm in your bottom photo is all "crinkled" up. The little flap near the top right in your photo is important in the fuel sucking/pumping process. It must be completely flat (as must the rest of the rubber diaphragm) to yield best results. Just to give you an idea, we replace that diaphragm after every race in our search for speed! I am sure your fuel problem will be sorted out by replacing that diaphragm. I am sending you a service manual by e-mail for the Walbro WA series carbs - it shows exploded parts views and has info on setting up the tuning (maybe not specifically for the 19A however, but will give good starting point). The tuning is done on the two mixture screws (with blue and silver spring in your photo) which should be marked H and L. The L screw is for low speed running and H for full throttle. On our WB-3A carb those mixture screws are very sensitive, and even 1/16 of a turn away from "ideal" setting results in a big difference in performance.

Regards, 2BRacing
            Last edited by 2BRacing; 10-01-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: add info
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
            X