Bike won't start after replacing clutch rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't start after replacing clutch rod

I just replaced my clutch rod and the clutch rod oil seal. I had to remove the clutch side cover and pressure plate, but everything seemed to go back together fine. Now my bike won't start. It did run for about a minute, but then died. It also backfired, only once or twice, during different attempts to start it.

I am getting at least some spark to the combustion chamber. Its color is white to light blue. The engine is trying to turn over, it just seems to not be igniting the air/fuel mixture in the chamber. Assuming fuel is getting to the chamber. Which I don't see why it wouldn't be, since it was running pretty good before replacing the clutch rod.

What would the symptoms be if my condensor and or points were bad. I don't know if they are bad or not, but I cannot get my testing light to change when turning the ignition backing plate.

Like I said, it was running at least decently before performing the minor repair. The only possible problem with the carbs is the o-rings I replaced on the fuel mixture screws. They make the screws hard to turn, and could be tearing in the carb, therefore leaving small o-ring particles in the fuel mixture area. I don't believe this to be the case since it has run since replacing them.

Sorry this is so long winded. I just wanted to be accurate.

Thanks for any help,
    Billy Miles

did you reset the air screws to the proper locations?

did you mess with the pilot screws at all?

the bike has oil, right? not too much?

you adjusted the clutch actuator after putting the cover on again?

the clutch rod has about 1-2 inches of free travle if you pull and push on it?

just asking some questions to get a feel for the situation.

~Adam

Comment

did you pull the vacuum line off the petcock try it on prime

Comment

The oil level is fine. As far as the idle screws, I did try them at different settings to see if it would help to at least get it started. But I only used what I have read in other posts, for instance 2 turns out for the air screw and 1 and 3/4 for the fuel screw.
        As for the clutch actuator, I did adjust the clutch cable freeplay. Is there something else to adjust, and would it keep the engine from starting?

The petcock no longer works off of vacuum. It only has prime, off, and reserve. I do have the vacuum lines plugged.
        Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X