Bog down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bog down

i just had to replace my petcock and it took a month to get the part because they sent me the wrong one. so therfore the carb were gummed up.. again

i went in and cleaned them to the best of my ability but not able to get out one of the pilot jets due to stripping by the P.O. or some other shop.

it runs slightly better now but still will shut off when i go to give it gas at low rpms.

It also has a problem with shutting OFF on me when it gets too hot.. for example after 30 mins or so of riding, especially in the florida heat it will just shut off on me when i down shift or slow down. basically if i dont keep the throttle going and pumpin gas through it. i then wait 15 to 30 mins and am able to start it right back up on the first try like she was brand new.

Until you get your carbs sorted out you are not going to get the bike running correctly.

Have you adjusted your valves yet? This should be done before trying to tune your bike.

If you can't remove the pilot jet, I would suggest replacing the carb body or try to get a rack of carbs that are in good working order.

Running the bike to the point where it shuts off because it's too hot is a recipe for disaster. Correct the problem before you damage your engine.

Have you verified your timing?

It's not that hard to get these bikes running right just have some patience.

Comment

Originally posted by 1982gs650E View Post
      i just had to replace my petcock and it took a month to get the part because they sent me the wrong one. so therfore the carb were gummed up.. again
      Carbs gum up in a month?
      Gas goes bad in a month?

Anyone?
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Carbs gum up in a month?
        Gas goes bad in a month?

Anyone?
        More than likely he dislodged some crap into his carbs when he replaced the petcock. I suppose under extremely hot conditions the gas in the bowls could evaporate leaving behind varnish. I doubt that is whats happening here.

Cleaning your pilot circuit when it is plugged may take several cleanings under good circumstances..if you can't remove one of the pilot jets more than likely it is still plugged.

Comment

If you can't remove a pilot jet, then clean it where it sits. Use very fine strand copper wires. Pull one of the other pilot jets and make sure a strand or 2 will go through with just a little resistance. Then take the full wire and peel back all but the wires you need .5" exposed. Use that like a drill, twisting as you go into the stuck jet. Follow with liberal gumout and air.

If the fine wires will not penetrate the blockage without bending, then you may try the fine steel wires from a frayed throttle cable. Be careful since these can gouge the jet. Again, check clearance on an open jet to find if the size is good. You may need to hold one strand with fine needle nose pliers to get the strand through the blockage. Once you have broken through the blockage, go back to the copper strands to really clean the jet.

Also, ALWAYS clean out all pilot jets with fine copper strands. I firmly believe that this is the biggest cause for redoing carbs: these jets need to be scrubbed open. Do not rely on dip for this: these passages need manual intervention.

Comment

the timing is right and it was also done earlier by my buddy at the shop. the carbs were just cleaned about 4 months ago and ive barely ridden it a few time cuz it always breaks on me everytime i fix it something else goes wrong.

as far as dislodging some crap.. idk cuz i kreemed my tank right before i put in the new petcock along with new gas lines and fuel filter. there was some brown crap in the float bowls when i took them out but sprayed it all down with choke n carn cleaner.

I used some wires from wire brushes to clean out the jets.. i sprayed some cleaner and poke through the one that wont come out because its stripped.. it would not flow but then after poking through the lliquid went right through the stuck jet.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post

It's not that hard to get these bikes running right just have some patience.
              beleive me i have enough patience to give to everyone frustrated person on this site but i havent been able to enjoy my bike at all.. she's a straight up bitch to me. excuse the language

ive fixed the starter, then the ignition system, done the relays, new boots for carbs and airbox, new petcock and kreem.

I mean i seriously have not ridden it for more than 30 mins before it breaks and i have to start all over again. this thing will be brand spankin new by the time im done and it actually works.

also if ANYONE has any extra 4into 1 and/or pods i would greatly appreciate it and maybe we can work something out. my airbox does NOT seal properly on the carbs because it is slightly warped so the 2 middle boots sit just ever so slightly off the carbs and are not touching.. the airbox is done!!!

She ran great last time it was up and running until 30 mins into the ride my starter magnets came off and destroyed it.
              Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2009, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1982gs650E View Post
                beleive me i have enough patience to give to everyone frustrated person on this site but i havent been able to enjoy my bike at all.. she's a straight up bitch to me. excuse the language

ive fixed the starter, then the ignition system, done the relays, new boots for carbs and airbox, new petcock and kreem.

I mean i seriously have not ridden it for more than 30 mins before it breaks and i have to start all over again. this thing will be brand spankin new by the time im done and it actually works.

also if ANYONE has any extra 4into 1 and/or pods i would greatly appreciate it and maybe we can work something out. my airbox does NOT seal properly on the carbs because it is slightly warped so the 2 middle boots sit just ever so slightly off the carbs and are not touching.. the airbox is done!!!

She ran great last time it was up and running until 30 mins into the ride my starter magnets came off and destroyed it.

<<<<ive fixed the starter, then the ignition system, done the relays, new boots for carbs and airbox, new petcock and kreem.>>>>

Dude, I'd guess that the majority of GS owners on this site that actually enjoy their bikes have done all this and a lot more, give or take a few items.
                I've spent countless hours on mine just to make it run right and it still dont run "perfect"(almost) BUt I enjoy it.

I have a set of emgo pods I can sell but let me warn ya. If you do pods on that bike you're opening a new can of worms. You just think you're running in circles now, put pods on it.

Where in FLA are ya? If you get tired of messing with it gimme a holler. I may just have to take a ride down there and take if off your hands.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                  More than likely he dislodged some crap into his carbs when he replaced the petcock. I suppose under extremely hot conditions the gas in the bowls could evaporate leaving behind varnish. I doubt that is whats happening here.

Cleaning your pilot circuit when it is plugged may take several cleanings under good circumstances..if you can't remove one of the pilot jets more than likely it is still plugged.

Im thinkin the carbs need a good ole going over.
                  A man can run in circles trying to get an old bike running right but untill he knows, he wont know.
                  Its a tedious but really easy step in the grimlen elimination process.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

What kind of air filter do you have ?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      What kind of air filter do you have ?
                      stock. been cleaned thoroughly

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      <<<<ive fixed the starter, then the ignition system, done the relays, new boots for carbs and airbox, new petcock and kreem.>>>>

Dude, I'd guess that the majority of GS owners on this site that actually enjoy their bikes have done all this and a lot more, give or take a few items.
                      I've spent countless hours on mine just to make it run right and it still dont run "perfect"(almost) BUt I enjoy it.

I have a set of emgo pods I can sell but let me warn ya. If you do pods on that bike you're opening a new can of worms. You just think you're running in circles now, put pods on it.

Where in FLA are ya? If you get tired of messing with it gimme a holler. I may just have to take a ride down there and take if off your hands.
                      I know im not the first and most certainly wont be the last man to do at least that and tthen some. I understand its going to take more work. I just want to enjoy my bike already on the open road before it gets cold especially. If pods are so much of a mess then what can i do to seal the gap between the carbs and bottom portion of the 2 middle airbox boots.
                      O and she wont get away from me that easy ill never be done with that bike cuz its what i love to do and i love my bikes.. nothing better in the world than it... except for women of course , hah but isnt that what these bikes are? women that cant talk back...cuz they sure can be as crazy as one. On a side note if your ever down in FL or vice versa Let me know. and this goes out to any other riders in FL.

Comment

Working...
                      X