electrical still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical still

I'm still trying to get anything electrical to come on the old bike (450) I just bought for $80. The bike only has one fuse in a fuse holder between the battery and the starter switch, and a second smaller red wire connected to the larger one going to the starter switch and that one then goes into the wire harness. I traced the juice to as far as the ignition switch. It's going in but only coming out one wire(brown) and nothing out of the other two wires coming out tof the switch (org. one and grey one). So my assumption is the ign. switch is bad? Anyone agree or have other ideas? I took the back off the switch and the wires look ok, but I was afraid to take the back off very much since it looks as though it could have small pieces and springs that might fly everywhere. I may try spraying inside as much as I can with contact cleaner and see if that helps. If not time for a new ign. switch?

OK, I just looked at the 450 wiring diagram that is posted on BassCliff's site. Following the wires, if you only have power coming out of the ignition switch on the brown wire, you are turning the switch too far. The brown wire only powers the tail light, and you have the switch turned to the PARK position, which only powers the tail light. Turn the key back, one position to the left, you should see the rest of the bike light up. If not, let us know, we'll track it down.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And I thought you were setting up a still using an electric heating source......

Comment

I've tried the switch in every position and get nothing from any other wires(except brn one) and certainly nothing on the bike is lighting up, that's why I thought switch must be bad and not making good contact on the other position . Thanks for the response and help. Terrylee

Comment

Try puting the key in half way then spray some contact cleaner down inside switch and then put the key in the rest of the way and work it back and forth. Try this a couple of times and see if that helps. Good luck

Comment

Ignition switches come apart for cleaning fairly easily, it may be a good idea to work inside a plastic bag to catch little parts.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I took the switch apart and cleaned it and it still doesn't work. I took the switch off and hooked a wire to the hot connection coming to the switch and hooked the other end to the three wires which would be routed through the switch if it was still attached. I got most of the lights to come on, dash, brake, turn signals, gear indic.,headlight,by touches the hot wire to the other wires one at a time. So to me that seems it would be the switch is bad. Seem right? Anyone got a extra one for cheap? Don't want to buy new one yet till sure this is problem, after all this is a project bike for wife and want to see if I can get it working well enough to see if it is worth saving. Thanks Terrylee

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, I took the switch apart and cleaned it with contact cleaner. I had to try 3-4 times to get the plastic wire holder to line up with right key part of cylinder, but all the lights come on. Tomorrow I"ll start trying to trace down why the starter button isn't working. Hopefully just some dirty contacts in the switch. terrylee

Comment

Do yourself a favor, start in the headlight bucket and work your way to the taillight and CLEAN every electrical connector. If you find any burned connectors replace them. Diagnosing your electrical system problems will be much easier once this is done.

Comment

thanks for the response, I have cleaned and inspected most of the wiring, and will do rest as I go. Got everything electrical to work, but still working on the starter switch and selinod. terrylee.

Comment

Remember that the Starter relay solinoid needs a VERY good ground! I made a ground to the engine itself--I have seen some ground to the neg of the battery---and a totally non functioning starter relay came to life all of a sudden

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X