Carb Rebuild Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Rebuild Problem

Just got an '82 GS1100GK from a guy that had it sitting for two or more years. This is my first bike and decided to be ambitious and rebuild the carb myself. I took the carb apart, had it soaked in the ultrasonic tub at the local shop, and bought 4 rebuild kits to replace the jets, o-rings, etc. I finally finished getting the carb back together a few days ago, but I think that there is still something not right.

The floats are all good, but when I push the slides down, they only seem to return about halfway up. The diaphragms look good to me, and I was able to get them seated in the ring before putting the cap on (I have not yet put the carb back on the bike).

A friend of mine told me that when I push the slides down they should return all the way up fairly quickly. Is he correct? If so, do you guys have any ideas of what I could be doing wrong?

I'm on a VERY tight budget, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

You looking at the carbs upside down? You are pushing them up, and they come back down, right? They should come back down in about a second. Is the spring in the slide installed correctly with no kinks? The slides are moving freely?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well, no, I was pushing the slides down, and expecting them to go back up. Was I wrong in doing that?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        You looking at the carbs upside down? You are pushing them up, and they come back down, right? They should come back down in about a second. Is the spring in the slide installed correctly with no kinks? The slides are moving freely?
        Springs in at all?? HAHA I was so excited putting my carbs back together I forgot to put the springs in the last two!!

You mentioned you got the diaphams seated? Did you notice the little ear on each diaphram? They only go in one way. Other then that, make sure they are clean.

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
          Springs in at all?? HAHA I was so excited putting my carbs back together I forgot to put the springs in the last two!!

You mentioned you got the diaphams seated? Did you notice the little ear on each diaphram? They only go in one way. Other then that, make sure they are clean.
          ya, the springs are in, the ears are seated correctly, and as far as I can tell the springs are not kinked in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by pkelly638 View Post
            well, no, I was pushing the slides down, and expecting them to go back up. Was I wrong in doing that?
            Each slide should naturally slide down, until it stops with the venturi completely closed off.
            Vacuum above the diaphragm lifts the slides up, against the tension of the springs.

Comment

Well it does slide back down, but the venturi is not completely blocked when the slide comes back down. When I look at it, it actually seems like its not physically possible b/c the needle jet sticks out a bit. Is that right?

Thank you sooo much for your help.

Comment

They close down until not quite a 1/4 inch gap, it stops when it hits hard and can go no farther. Are you sure your needle jets are in right? They should not hit the slide, not even close.

If the little pin on the needle jet is not rotated into it's slot, it won't go down all the way.
                The slot is there to line up the hole that goes over to the pilot jet.

Comment

well, i've looked at it real closely and three of the carbs look perfect after you explained the proper way to look at them. one of the carbs, however, doesn't seem quite right. the slide is not going down fully (about a quarter inch less than the rest of the slides). It's not hitting the needle jet and the needle jet is lined up properly with the groove. The needle jet rim is a bit bent (I don't know why but I'm assuming the previous owner did not have the jet in all the way). Any ideas why the slide would not close as much as the rest of the slides?

Comment

Take the top cover off and find out.

Comment

Take the slide out and wipe it with a towel sprayed with carb cleaner and do the same to the slide bore.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Needle Jet

alright, thanks very much for all your help. After a good bit of help from everybody and a bit of messing with the slider, I figured out that its something with the needle jet. Its minutely bent or misshapen which is preventing the slider from going through all the way.

Anybody know where to find a new needle jet for the carb on an '82 suzuki gs1100gk? I looked around online a bit, but its not an easy part to find .

Thanks Again!!!

Comment

Do you need a needle jet or jet needle.
                          Give me the number on it and I probably have one.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X