Is 14.95V at the battery OK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 14.95V at the battery OK?

I was following the stator papers that i got from Basscliff's great site. The first test on my 82 1100g was to check the voltage at the battery terminals which I did. The papers recommend this should be no higher than 14.8v at 5000rpm but my clymer manual says anything up to 15.5v is OK. Mine was 14.95v at 5000rpm. Is this acceptable?

My 'S was running at about that and I found that I was popping headlight bulbs.I run the earth from the r/r directly to my -ve on the battery and it came back to 14.8v and is now a happy little vegemite.As to your question , I dunno.There's a lot of clever buggers on here that will be along shortly.Cheers,Simon.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

I have just finished replacing the r/r on my 83 GS1100G with the Honda unit.
      It is wired directly to + and - of the battery and it is reading 15.3v at 5k-6k.(With headlight off)
      I will monitor the battery to make sure it does not boil dry, overcharge.
      It was previously running at 17+ volts for some time, the battery ran dry, but never had any other electrical issues.

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo View Post
        I was following the stator papers that i got from Basscliff's great site. The first test on my 82 1100g was to check the voltage at the battery terminals which I did. The papers recommend this should be no higher than 14.8v at 5000rpm but my clymer manual says anything up to 15.5v is OK. Mine was 14.95v at 5000rpm. Is this acceptable?
        14.8 maybe okay for the battery depending on type of battery. If the AGM, then probably will not cause problem with battery. If the unsealed vented type with liguid acid, then may "boil" it dry.

14.8 might be somewhat hard on light bulb life.

Sometimes if the the R/R black wire is not well grounded it can cause the R/R to not be able to regulate and voltage will be way too high (like 15-16 volts). The R/R balck wire maybe connected to the battery box and/or black/white wire from bike wiring harness. But somethimes the battery box isnt well grounded to the frame. And there is a black/white wire in wiring harness that is suppose to ground the battery box, but sometimes the other end of the black/white wire that is supposed to be connected to frame is not a good connection. So that is why you will get recomendation to add own "ground" wire from the r/r black wire to the battery negitive or other known good ground.

And I think stator papers (also found on GSR main page) has you check for this by measuring voltage difference between r/r black wire and the battery negitive. SHould be about nothing.

Last edited by Redman; 10-01-2009, 08:59 AM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Piston720 View Post
          I have just finished replacing the r/r on my 83 GS1100G with the Honda unit.
          If that RR has a sense wire, that you attached to a switched + wire, check the voltage on that wire. If its less than the static battery voltage it may cause your RR to over charge.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Thankyou Dave
            The switched wire is connected to the orange rear brake switch wire.
            I will check that voltage tonight.
            By static battery voltage, do you mean the battery voltage when everything is off and the measurement across the battery terminals?
            IF the voltage across the switched wire is less, what is the solution?

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              If that RR has a sense wire, that you attached to a switched + wire, check the voltage on that wire. If its less than the static battery voltage it may cause your RR to over charge.
              Originally posted by Piston720 View Post
              Thankyou Dave
              The switched wire is connected to the orange rear brake switch wire.
              I will check that voltage tonight.
              By static battery voltage, do you mean the battery voltage when everything is off and the measurement across the battery terminals?
              IF the voltage across the switched wire is less, what is the solution?
              With the bike running, measure the voltage across the battery terminals. Then measure the voltage at your sense wire connection.
              As suggested, your brake light feed wire might have a voltage drop in its source, so you might have a volt or two less on it.
              Since it is lower than the battery, the R/R will try to bump it up to equalize them.

If you have to 'fix' it, one solution is to install a relay that is triggered by a switched wire on the bike.
              That would give you a very direct, but switched, line to the battery.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by bonzo View Post
                FYI,
                if you want to be thourough go through this revised stator checklist for Part A. I recommended a 14.0-14.8v range v.s. the factory tollerance of 14.0-15.5V; as mentioned 15.5v is too much at the battery and reflects more the poor design Suzuki fielded.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Also measure between the battery + and the fuse block + feed (orange wire)
                  should have less than .5 volts

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                    Also measure between the battery + and the fuse block + feed (orange wire)
                    should have less than .5 volts
                    at 5000 RPM

Comment

Working...
                    X