Clutch problem after cover replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch problem after cover replacement

I did something wrong while pulling my clutch cover. I'm about to go remove my 4 to 1, drain the oil, and pull the cover, but I'm not sure what I'll be looking for.

The clutch lever is loose. It swings freely in and out, and the clutch does not function. It worked before I took off the cover. The bolt that goes through the center of the clutch also rotates and moves in and out freely.

What did I do? Should I pull the clutch? I don't know much about this area of the bike, but I'm hoping it's a simple linkage problem.

I'll bet you forgot to line up the clutch release rack with the pinion. Easy to do - I do it all the time (you think I'd learn). Just pop the cover off and line things up.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The teeth on the rack and pinion as you say were engaged. I leaned the bike over enough and pulled the cover (much easier than pulling exhaust etc) - the rack seems to loosely hang, and it spins and moves in and out, about an inch, no resistance, with positive stops on both sides. It doesn't seem attached on the inside, though this may be normal?

Comment

Sounds like the shaft engaged in a different location. Mine did the same and it's not a problem.

Remove the pin the connects the clutch cable to the lever arm and remove the level arm. Put the lever arm back on 1-2 splines closer to the cable end. take the slack out of the lever assembly (just push it towards the cable with a finger) and see how close you get. Just keep doing this until you get pretty darn close.

Once you are close put the bolt back through the lever arm, loosen your cable adjuster lock nut, and loosen the cable up until you can attach it back to the arm. Then adjust your cable until you remove all but a little freeplay at the control lever.

No need to remove the cover again.

Comment

Working...
        X