lacquer thinners and butterflies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lacquer thinners and butterflies

I am disturbed by people that have said that using lacquer thinners to dip their carbs, which is what i did, will eat the rubber grommets on the butterfly shafts. I don't know if my 80 gs1100 16v has these grommets but I am having trouble getting my bike to run properly and wonder if this is part of the problem. Has anyone else that used lacquer had this issue?

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I wondered that same thing about the Chem-Dip.

Comment

Lacquer thinner? Never heard of that. I use Kleen-Flo carb dip. When you dunk the carbs you're supposed to take all them little rubbers out. I replaced them on my XS650 and XS400. They're not cheap. Your bike won't run right without them sealing well.

Comment

If you are not going to completely remove ALL the rubber from the carburetor then don't use chemical dip. It says on the can that the solvents will attack rubber and plastic.

Use a biodegradeable, water based product if you don't want to remove all the rubber bits. I don't usually take apart the butterflies because on some carbs they are peened on with brass screws. The screws are a PITA to remove. You can get the carbs clean by soaking and/or boiling them in a solution of water and detergent.

Comment

Working...
        X