'when old is new'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'when old is new'

Hi-just being poetic. Anyway my new to me '81 1100e came w emgo pods,4/1, and possibly a jet kit. I've cleaned,poked and reamed and can't seem to get flow through the starting circuit. The carbs had large no # mains that I switched for 140s and it runs great but the starting circuit has no effect. Is this due to the pods or is there some deep hidden cavern that I haven't gotten to. One thing I saw that was odd-the starting plungers have needles on them(haven't seen that b4) I've resurrected many old bikes and have had plenty of experience cleaning very crusty carbs but I'm stumped by this one. Thanks,Guzzi John-Champlin,Mn

Originally posted by piers006 View Post
    Hi-just being poetic. Anyway my new to me '81 1100e came w emgo pods,4/1, and possibly a jet kit. I've cleaned,poked and reamed and can't seem to get flow through the starting circuit. The carbs had large no # mains that I switched for 140s and it runs great but the starting circuit has no effect. Is this due to the pods or is there some deep hidden cavern that I haven't gotten to. One thing I saw that was odd-the starting plungers have needles on them(haven't seen that b4) I've resurrected many old bikes and have had plenty of experience cleaning very crusty carbs but I'm stumped by this one. Thanks,Guzzi John-Champlin,Mn
    well now
    soak the float bowls and clean the little brass tube with the whole in the top
    these are in the float bowls they are where the starter circuit draw the extra fuel from

Comment

usually its the bowls themselves. b12 chemtool and a bristle from a wire brush will do the trick. thats my answer to everything....

Comment

Originally posted by piers006 View Post
        You should give me that 4 to 1 and trade my stock exhaust, that might help Love the 81 11e tho.

Comment

tubes clean!!!

That's the 1st thing I check on dirty carbs. My little wire goes smoothly all the way down to where the tube meets the vertical to horizontal passage. I've blasted air & cleaner through them too. They simply are not flowing and being as the start circuit passages are quite large after the brass tube I can't believe they are plugged!?* My main question was-has anyone else found this problem due to pods alone? The fact that these plungers are different than all others I've seen made me wonder if the pods effected these carbs more than others.Guzzi John

Comment

Thanks bwringer!!

I searched the web and this site and luckily found a picture showing which part of float to use in height measurement and the tidbit of not compressing the needle spring. Now to see if this will do something for the starting circuit as they must be clean-air blown into brass tube moves plungers out freely.JP

Comment

Long & short of it

Looks like I should've figured anything done by formers owners might be wrong. Giant mains and high floats were clues. The starting issue was too long a cable-a clutch adjuster fitting in the holding clamp now pulls the plungers out far enough to raise the revs. I'll try a cold start in the morning.Guzzi John

Comment

John,
                denatured alcohol will disolve the most gummed up gas grunge deposits that plug the holes in the pilot and main jets and the air bleeds if that is an issue. The only bad part of this is it will eat rubber o-rings if they are left in the alcohol for more than a few minutes.
                Champlin? Grew up there, Off 109th by the park reserve....Enjoy your new ride

Comment

There was nothing plugged!!

It fired up normally dead cold today so the choke cable was the culprit. Earlier this year I fiddled w a Ural for several hrs b4 discovering the ground cable wasn't making a ground. It had been moved and the new location wasn't stripped of paint-I hooked it to the tranny case. Amazing how the starter cable wasn't in my equation for the starter circuit problem. Oh well I am getting on in yrs and Oldheimer's bites in many ways. I see a little blue sky so I'm off for a short ride b4 the rain comes back.Guzzi John

Comment

11925 Sumter 2 blocks from Andrews Park

Comment

Know exactly where you are...Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X