Swapping Fuel Tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping Fuel Tanks?

Does anyone know how to figure out if another model's tank will fit my '82 650L? I would love a bigger tank though not looking for a huge modification project. I'm hoping to avoid buying something that just won't fit.

Thanks,
    Joe

Hi,

You'd have to have some fabrication skills in order to make a bigger tank fit. You might be able to relocate the mount points on a bigger tank to fit the frame of your "L" model. Be advised, all of the "L" model tanks are around 3.5 gallons. All of the "E" and "G" model tanks are over 5 gallons and many are almost 6 gallons.

As far as I know, only "L" model tanks will fit "L" model bikes, without modification. You can visit my website for a parts cross-reference procedure.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Instead of replacing your main fuel tank, how about adding one of these

Comment

There are a couple tanks that fit that almost perfect. IIRC, one of the 1100 tanks is all but 3/16 or so from fitting. I think it was the E model and it was on the width of the 2 rear mounting holes. Theres a thread I started a few months back that had some measurements from someone here redoing there tank that give me the measurements for his bike. Search my name for posts started.

Comment

Working...
        X