Need advice - looking at an 82 GS 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice - looking at an 82 GS 750

Hi All, hoping someone can give me some friendly advice.

I used to ride in the late 80s / early 90's. Getting back into it and really like the early 80's GS's. I found an 82 GS 750T with about 12K on it. It has been parked for a while, wont start but has newer tires and the body is in very good original condition.

What I do know its that its not getting gas to the cylinders and the seller told me the chain needs to be replaced as he told me he adjusted it all the way out.

I am OK with putting a few hundred into it, having the carbs done and the chain. It appears to have some possible leaks, like gasgets as I see some oil like residue that seems to be seeping. I am guessing it might need these replaced as well.

To put this into a question, what can I do to check this bike out to eliminate the big issues? Would a compression check make sense? I do this on my outboard boat motor. Any other advice? I am just trying to do my homework so I can better my odds....I know this is a gamble.

Oh, yea, the price...he is asking 500, I was thinking I would go 400.00.

Thanks....Mike

Could be a good deal. Make sure there is no rustin the tank, or on the fork tubes. Itwill need a setcof sprockets to go with that chain. You should see if the braes are seized or not.

Good luck Let us know how it turns out.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Does it turn over ? If it does you know its not seized and yes you can do a compesion test. Did you check the Dot code on the tires to se how old they are ? They may look good but be real old. The carbs wil need rebuilding not that bad a job there is a tutorial on doing it. Check for spark when you turn it over. How are the shocks and front springs firm or bouncy ? t may have electiral problems which are fixable but you cant tell since its not running. Some leaks are commond and easly fixable some are not. If it looks good and clean and everything is there ie body parts it may be worth it. Offer $300 figureing you may have to but that much into it if not a little more but then you will have a relieable bike. And if you do all the work yourself you will save money and know your way around the bike. There is plenty of info here and bassclifs site to do everything. And chances are you wont be able to fine a repair shop to do the work as they dont like working on old bikes. Hope this helps and Good luck.

Comment

This looks like a real clean one for $950

How much work to make that $400 one into this?

Not that I know this bike, but my point is that the least expensive isn't always the best deal.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Costs beyond the purchase

With just about any bike that has been neglected or just unattended you'll have to do these...

Carb "O" Rings $15.00
          Carb Passage Plugs $9.10
          Spark Plugs $9.00
          Oil Filter $3.64
          Brake Pads $20.60 (one pair for a 750T... X 2 for others)
          Front Brake Caliper Rebuild $14.42 (only one on a 750T... X 2 or 3 for others)
          Rear Brake Shoes $19.95 (750T is a drum rear, almost guaranteed to be oringinal)
          Air Filter (Paper) $10.95 (unless it has pods)
          Valve Cover Gasket $14.95 ('cause you'll check the valves)
          Petcock (vacuum) Suzuki $41.60 (avoids a lot of issues)
          Brake Hose 10MM 35 DEG BANJO FITTING $10.34
          Brake Hose 10MM STRAIGHT BANJO FITTING $9.01
          Brake Hose 103 Series, Black Coat 38'' With Chrome Swivels $26.70
          Tires $179.09 (750T has a 17" rear with few choices)
          Tubes, Inner $18.45 (mine has only one wheel marked for tubeless)

You may ALSO have to rebuild the front master cylinder and replace control cables.

DRIVE CHAIN (this 530 conversion is about the same as 630 chain)
          RK 530 X-Ring 116L 96.78
          Master Link (2) 8.28
          18T 13.8
          50T 34.59
          Spacer, 6mm 3.23

These were my costs (plus more) your results may vary. Not to scare you off, I love mine.
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Welcome !!
            Where are you on this big blue planet ? You never know, there may be knowledgeable member around the corner willing to go with you to take a look at the bike.

And read through this along with all the links.

Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by MScanon99 View Post
              I know this is a gamble.

Oh, yea, the price...he is asking 500, I was thinking I would go 400.00.

Thanks....Mike
              When they aren't running it's a tough call.

You have to "assume" it might not ever run so I would start the offer at $250 or whatever you feel you can get out of parting it out if the engine is toast.

The last new gas tank I saw for sale on this list was $600 and he got it quickly!!

I got a $450 retirement project "running northern CT full dress 81 750" 5 years ago with 19k miles, a newer chain and sprockets and mostly it needed cleaning, tires and a new exhaust (ebay)to make it road worthy enough to determine I would make it new again for about $600 total over 3 years. It's mechanically like new 1981 now. Tires/oil are my only expense now that I live in Fl and ride year round.

You can get most all wearing parts from BikeBandit.com, et al, other than fenders, tank, seat, frame, wheels for your bike.

If you have ignition issues an original ignitor or coil set can run over $300 each so be prepared to study this list for aftermarket units or good used ones. I found spares on ebay and from GSers but have never had to use one and mine are all original.

I had to replace things at my own pace:

Note: No Suzuki Dealer will touch a bike over 10 years old. I found a Triumph Dealer locally who will do maintenance other than electrical for me when needed and a local GSer who can do alot for me too.

New battery = $40
              Used Mirror (ebay) = $10
              Change all fluids. Both Filters.
              Spark plugs (after you make sure there is coil juice).
              New Tires and new wheel bearings.
              Used factory Exhaust (ebay) = broke one bolt off = crap.
              *Priced a new exhaust 4 into 2 for $350 backorder = yikes. Got nice used one for $35. New bolts/gaskets.

Used Stator W/housing + gasket(ebay) then did RR jumper to ground = $35

Drain Plugs rusted in carb bowls = replaced.
              Paid pro to adjust valves and sync carbs = $150

Have dodged cleaning carbs so far 5 years. I doubt you will be able to do that. Figure $400 by pro or do it yourself from this site.

Replaced all phillips bolts with SS hex as a kit from GSer. = $20 I think?

New brake pads. = $20 set

New 630 Chain and sprockets = $200 after 20k miles

New cables all around = cheap.

New cork clutches at 36,000 just because they were hard and slipped a bit under max throttle = $90

Now there is no place I wouldn't go on this bike as it is totally reliable as a new 1981 GS BUT it is 28 years old with a high center of gravity and skinny tires. These things are still bulletproof mechanically but don't have the finess or power of a later model 02 Bandit or such selling for $3000 now. That said I still only have my 81 GS and will for the foreseeable future

Good luck with your haggling.

Comment

Working...
              X