Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I really need that stuff in the breather cover...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I really need that stuff in the breather cover...

I'm refering to that expanded-metal/brillo pad material stuffed in the breather cover. I just had the valve & breather covers off my 1100EX & there was none to be seen in there. Adjusted the valves & installed new gaskets but didn't put anything in there - should I & what would I use if the answer is yes??

Also, I added pods & thought I read on here that when adding pods you DON'T install the carb vent hoses, is that correct??

Just wondering, what do most people use in lieu of the breather-to-aibox hose??

I attached a quick pic of my pod set-up...

Thanks,

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

the wire mesh in there helps capture the moisture in the vapors so that oil does not spray out of the vent. It's a good idea to keep the mesh in there. I'm pretty sure that you would think so if you had everything all neat and pretty like you do and some oil gets sprayed out of there onto everything.

Comment

Run the breather hose to a small K&N filter mounted under the tank. You can also route it to a catch tank.

There's a pic here of one routed to a can cap mounted on the frame - Keith Krause, then RenoBruce, I also copied that idea with my skunk too....

The stuff in the breather cover is there to help any oil condense out of the vapours....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Like the others have said, the mesh helps separate the liquid out of the vapor. I would suggest installing some. The proper stuff is still available and not that expensive, so I would not try using a substitute like steel wool. Too much chance of the steel wool breaking down and falling into your cams and valve train.

The breather hose? Again, like the others have said, use a catch can or a small breather to match your pods. You can find them in the "tuner" section at Auto Zone. They use them for breather filters (duh) on the Hondas, Nissans, Toyotas, etc. when they mod them up. If you don't care to be quite as environmentaly responsible, simply extend the breather hose down along a frame rail and have it exit into the airstream below the exhaust pipes. Make sure it's off to the side so it does not collect on the rear tire.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys - I'll try to find the OEM mesh & definately run a hose to a small "something".

Mike
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
          X