Pod Filter question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod Filter question....

I'm going from airbox to Pod Filters, and when I was pulling out the airbox, I noticed a hose that goes from the top of the airbox to the valve covers? I also noticed a hose from the bottom of the air box to nothing. Do I need to plug that hole, filter it, or what am I supposed to do?

Thanks

Originally posted by pnwesside31 View Post
    I'm going from airbox to Pod Filters, and when I was pulling out the airbox, I noticed a hose that goes from the top of the airbox to the valve covers? I also noticed a hose from the bottom of the air box to nothing. Do I need to plug that hole, filter it, or what am I supposed to do?

Thanks

Ive always just let it kinda sit there..thats for ventilation...probably wouldnt be a bad idea to put a little filter on the end...

Comment

Yes, you should filter the breather either at the valve cover or at the end of the hose somewhere you can zip tie it out of harms way.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KN...0/?image=large Find a double sided nipple and put this on the end of the hose.

And the tube at the bottom of the air box is just a drain for your airbox and you wont have it once you pull the box out.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2009, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.
          That's the easy part out of the way. Good luck with the re-jetting!
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            Good luck with the re-jetting!
            And if you don't bother with the re-jet, good luck with the rebuild.

In case you did not know, or have not noticed on the board, when changing the intake or exhaust plumbing, it is necessary to re-jet the carbs.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great....I read it in other posts, but overlooked it. Any suggestions on where to start? I'll definitely start searching asap, but I gotta get a move on it. My gas tank is coming back soon.

Comment

Any suggestions on where to start?
                Well, the FIRST thing you want to do is to figure out what bike you are working on.

The NEXT thing to do is to share that with us.

THEN you need to also share what brand of pods you are installing and whether you have stock exhaust or a header.

After all that, we can make some reasonably intelligent guesses.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry about that....

-1986 GS450
                  -EMGO (12-55748/48mm)
                  -Everything Stock

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs1100 View Post
                    Yes, you should filter the breather either at the valve cover or at the end of the hose somewhere you can zip tie it out of harms way.
                    I've run mine with a hose (zip tied out of "harms way") and without a filter for 20 years. No problems.

Remember the rules: 1) Header? REJET! and/or 2)Pods? REJET!

I have a cracked helmet from a crash 20yrs ago when I put pods on my first gs750 and it ran so wierd (hadn't rejetted yet) I lost it.

With stock exhaust which is much more restrictive than header, and with a relatively unknown brand (at least to me) as far as pods (K&N's are almost as non restrictive as not running anything, for example), my advice at this point is that it should be relatively "safe" to throw the pods on and test the bike. CAREFULLY... realizing it will probably run lean at various points and at various throttle openings.

Weakest link in the chain princible applies here. If the exhaust is too restritive, no amount of added intake capacity will make a difference (as far as power at least).

What is your objective? Are you doing this only for looks? Are you planning to add a header as well? If you want more breathing/power, you will probably need to do a header as well (usually done first by most actually) although I have no experience with gs450s (i had a 400 honda hawk back in the day).

Comment

Saw this website, and was wondering if this is a good frame of reference:

1 jet size for custom 4 into 2 exhaust

2 jet sizes for 4 into 1 exhaust

1 jet size for K&N filter (single inside airbox)

1 jet size for drilling out the bottom of the airbox

2 jet sizes for both single K&N and drilled airbox

2 jet sizes for individual filters

2 jet sizes for no muffler (open header)

1 pilot jet size for every 3 main jet size increase

Add up all the jet size increases and subtract one. (Remember they go in steps of 2.5 for each jet size)

Under a mismatch condition, like individual filters and stock exhaust or 4 into 1 header with stock filter and air box, subtract an additional 1 jet size.

Check plug color often, sync carbs after each jet change, make sure the floats are set correctly, and seriously consider purchasing a Color Tune. (See "Color tuning Carburetors" in the Maintenance Section).

Make sure your carbs are in perfect working order before making jet changes.

Example from my '79 XS1100 F:
                      Stock main jets: 137.5

Stock pilot jets: 42.5

2 sizes for 4:1 exhaust (Jardine)

1 size for single K&N

1 size for drilled air box

4 (main sizes) - 1 = 3 or 137.5 + (2.5 * 3) = 145.0
                      1 (pilot jet size) or 42.5 + (2.5 * 1) = 45.0

Comment

Plug readings are how you jet carbs.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Saw this website, and was wondering if this is a good frame of reference:

1 jet size for custom 4 into 2 exhaust

2 jet sizes for 4 into 1 exhaust

1 jet size for K&N filter (single inside airbox)

1 jet size for drilling out the bottom of the airbox

2 jet sizes for both single K&N and drilled airbox

2 jet sizes for individual filters

2 jet sizes for no muffler (open header)

1 pilot jet size for every 3 main jet size increase

Add up all the jet size increases and subtract one. (Remember they go in steps of 2.5 for each jet size)

Under a mismatch condition, like individual filters and stock exhaust or 4 into 1 header with stock filter and air box, subtract an additional 1 jet size.

Check plug color often, sync carbs after each jet change, make sure the floats are set correctly, and seriously consider purchasing a Color Tune. (See "Color tuning Carburetors" in the Maintenance Section).

Make sure your carbs are in perfect working order before making jet changes.

Example from my '79 XS1100 F:
                          Stock main jets: 137.5

Stock pilot jets: 42.5

2 sizes for 4:1 exhaust (Jardine)

1 size for single K&N

1 size for drilled air box

4 (main sizes) - 1 = 3 or 137.5 + (2.5 * 3) = 145.0
                          1 (pilot jet size) or 42.5 + (2.5 * 1) = 45.0
                          This may be a half decent place to start out....

But this is the truth:

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Plug readings are how you jet carbs.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                          X