No announcement yet.

switch to synthetic oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used nothing but Mobil 1 on the 3 different motors I have run in my 83 750E over the course of 45,000 miles, using Valvoline 10/40 petroleum for app. 1500 miles each time for break in. I run my highly moded 750 very hard and do not feel that regular petroleum based oil can keep up. I use Mobil 15/50 in the hot Texas summers and 5/30 when it consitently drops below 55 degF with changes done at 1500 mile intervals. I have never experienced any gearbox or clutch problems, recent teardown of the latest motor revealed very little wear on the rockers and cams even though I am using fairly aggressive profiles. Cost is not a factor as I strongly believe that you get what you pay for. If you are running a stock machine and do not regularly hit readline, then conventional oils should be OK if changed at normal intervals. But as I stated in a post months ago, formula 1 cars and turbine engines only run synthetic oil because petroleum based products cannot handle the extreme heat or shearing that these motors produce. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Never had any trouble with running synthetic oils in my bikes. I would not bother running the 8.00 dollar a quart Mobil1 motorcycle specific synthetic, when you can buy 5 quarts of 15w50 for less than 4 bucks a quart. Run it in both my 81 GS750E, and my 82 1100E. Both had periods of inactivity prior to purchase by me. (750 sat for 6 years untouched, 1100 only had 3500 miles put on it in 10 years). No clutch slippage, but the old valve covers had gone hard and developed leaks....easily fixable...as for the "metal gets hotter because the oil stays cooler" line from the mechanic...think about what he said. Synthetics REDUCE friction. Therefore, the engine does not produce as much heat.

Comment

Wal-Mart had 5 quart bottles of Mobil-1 for $18.88 USD.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by carolinaGS1100
          Never had any trouble with running synthetic oils in my bikes. I would not bother running the 8.00 dollar a quart Mobil1 motorcycle specific synthetic, when you can buy 5 quarts of 15w50 for less than 4 bucks a quart.

You would be suprised to learn that Mobile One's 10w-40 Motorcycle oil Ingredients are almost exactly the same as the 'red cap' version. :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          X