Yet another carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another carb question

Just finished dipping #4 carb for my '81 GS750EX. Things have gone without a hitch 'til now. I seem to have forgotten to remove a "plug" when dipping this one. It was melted goo when I retrieved it from the dip. Thing is, it doesn't appear to have a purpose. I can't seem to be able to find it in any part fiches. It doesn't seem to lead to the internals of the carb.

Is this a necessary part?

Comment

If it's just a plug, there is enough of it left that air doesn't go through.

Comment

How does the bike run?
        I dont know what it is and I'll assume no one else does either since no ones answered but if it runs good, go with it.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Actually, I don't know if the bike runs or not. First thing I did when I got the bike was yank the carbs to clean them. I'm on my 8th and final night of dipping (dipping carbs and bowls seperately, as the bowls are really bad). Carbs are not going back on bike until I know that they are thoroughly cleaned. Ordered new pilot jets, main jets, orings, bowl gaskets, and pilot jet plugs today. I just didn't know if the aforementioned part was necessary for proper operation of motorcycle. If nobody knows what it is, I suppose it's useless, just like the leftover screws and bolts everytime I finish working on my car.

Comment

It's cosmetic only. You don't need it. I've done at least 50 CV carbs and have never seen one still on the carbs.
            Is your Avator a Clockwork Orange reference?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Exactly the answer I wanted to hear! Thank you
              ...and yes, it's a Clockwork Orange reference, Alex DeLarge himself. You like?
              I've thought about working it into the bike somewhere.

Comment

PM Kris V and he can do a vinyl sticker to put on your headlight. He can do any vinyl sticker you want to put anywhere.
                Shameless plug for my buddy.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I may just have to get a hold of him later on. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X