Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs425 choke issue

Hi,
    I have a '79 GS425 that is a bugger to get warmed up. The bike starts right up, but it will not go into high idle. As such, it takes forever to warm up. Does this carb not have a high idle circuit? Or do the carbs need a really good cleaning? I've had them off quite a few times; the bike was a mess when I got it. It runs great once it's warm, but waiting literally 10-15 minutes for it to run without the choke is trying my patience.
    Thanks

Several years ago, one of the popular motorcycle magazines (Cylce, Motorcyclist, etc.) did a write-up and proclaimed the 425 to be one of the worst-carbureted bikes ever. They said it was a shame, because it was otherwise a nice bike. They then went on to show how to rectify the situation, virtually for free. Of course they were doing this with a new bike, so the carbs could be assumed to be clean. You may have to clean yours to get to the same starting point. They pulled the diaphragms out of the carbs, then pulled the needles and swapped the metal and plastic washer/spacer. This has the same effect as raising the (non-adjustable) needles about 2 notches. They also turned the idle mixture adjustment screws out another turn, to about 2.5 turns.

We now have better tuning options available and have found that going two full notches richer on the needles might be too much. What works better is to find small washers (get the assortment pack at Radio Shack, then use just the smallest ones), build a stack equivalent to the height of the nylon spacer, then cut it in half. Usually, that's two washers. By doing this, you can tune the needle height by half-notches, if you need to. I still recommend turning the mixture screws out. Start by bottoming them lightly, then backing out 2 to 3 full turns. When the bike is warmed up, turn each one slowly, listening for highest engine speed (won't be a whole lot of difference). If you don't notice any increase, turn them in slowly until you notice a decrease, then turn them back out 1/4 turn.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info, but I am pretty satisfied with how the bike runs once it's off choke. It's getting it off the choke that's the problem. Do you have any advice as to what's going on with this?
      thanks again

Comment

Read Steve's post again.

Do what he advises. Clean the carbs, do these easy adjustments. If you don't like how it runs, you can put the needles back where they were, turn the screws back in, and put a bunch of crap back into the carburetors.
        Last edited by tkent02; 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by wfoerk View Post
          Do you have any advice as to what's going on with this?
          thanks again
          Yes.

It's running too lean, requiring it to stay on "choke" for quite a while. Raising the needle and turning the mixture screws out will richen the mixture at the lower throttle openings and will get you off the "choke" setting quicker.

The factory settings were not set that way because the bike ran best. They were set that way to satisfy the EPA, which was starting to throw around a bit more weight at the time.

Side benefit: since the bike will actually run better, it will even get better gas mileage, even though you are richening the mixture, seemingly giving it more gas to burn.
          sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Sounds like Steve is right.
            In '82, I had a brand new 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, 305 Quadra jet carb, and mild RV cam that I bought in IL. Transferred to San Diego, CA, (home of record at the time), had to get it smogged to register it, of course. It cost me $120 for the $45 smog check. They had to de-tune my truck, retarded the timing, way leaned out the carb and then it passed CA smog. It ran so crappy when I left the station I had to re-tune it before I got home. It was missing and spitting, backfiring under load and everything imaginable. It only had 3500 miles on it at the time. I went through that every time I had it smogged except when one lobe of the cam went flat and it was running bad on its own.
            Stupid EPA regs, and CA bought every one of them lock, stock and barrel and then added to them.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Read Steve's post again.

Do what he advises.
              Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              Sounds like Steve is right.
              Come on, guys, you're giving me a complex.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Read Steve's post again.

Do what he advises. Clean the carbs, do these easy adjustments. If you don't like how it runs, you can put the needles back where they were, turn the screws back in, and put a bunch of crap back into the carburetors.
                Dude, the carbs are clean. This isn't my first day working on a motorcycle. Save the sarcasm for your buddies.

Thanks, Steve, for the further explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by wfoerk View Post
                  Dude, the carbs are clean. This isn't my first day working on a motorcycle. Save the sarcasm for your buddies.

Thanks, Steve, for the further explanation.
                  So why did you ask if they need cleaning?
                  Your first question after the one about the high idle circuit, which you would also know if it wasn't your first day working on a motorcycle.
                  You haven't seen sarcasm.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                  X