Just grabbed 2 parts bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just grabbed 2 parts bikes

I found 2 parts bikes for sale on ebay, and the bid was $25 to get in on them. I figured what the heck, and whatdya know, $25 took them.

One is just a rolling frame. The other has most of a motor and ok looking exhaust. The lot also comes with 2 tanks and a seat, but I will probably just resell those. The bikes are an '80 and an '81 gs550. They look to be L's.

So, I have to ask, with my bike being an E what can I steal from these? I'm hoping that the motor is mostly the same, and so it probably has some parts in better shape then my bike with its 36k of wear and tear.

How much can I steal before I have to worry about title issues? I know the crankcase has a serial on it, but aside from that the rest should be fine, right?

Nice deal.

As far as I know the frames are titled, anything else can be swapped. I'm not well versed in 550's but, I think, everything from the engine should swap. Although 36,000mi on an engine isn't much........
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Oh, and you are NOT stealing, ..., they're YOURS.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Still feels a little like stealing.

I am mostly interested in the engine and having extra calipers and such. I'm trying to get rid of my chrome not add to it, so a lot of this stuff is of no use to me. I just figure that the bikes can be parted out, especially with the tanks, for more than my investment, and that's just cash for other parts.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeolsen View Post
          Still feels a little like stealing.

I am mostly interested in the engine and having extra calipers and such. I'm trying to get rid of my chrome not add to it, so a lot of this stuff is of no use to me. I just figure that the bikes can be parted out, especially with the tanks, for more than my investment, and that's just cash for other parts.
          I know someone looking for a decent looking 80/81 550L tank...any one of those have a good one?

Comment

I'm picking it up on Friday so I am not sure yet. I can get you pictures when I know though.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeolsen View Post
              I'm picking it up on Friday so I am not sure yet. I can get you pictures when I know though.
              let me know when ya get em, and yeah pics would be great. I resurrected a REALLY nice 81 550L for a buddy of mine, but the tank was bashed to hell and back. Otherwise the bike was perfect. He's been lookin for one ever since.

Comment

Ok will do then.

Comment

Working...
                X