gs 850 wont start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs 850 wont start.

Can't get this bike to start. Got spark on all four plugs. Compression is 120 across all four cylinders so the only thing stopping has to be carbs right? I'm running an aux. fuel bottle to it right now so it's not a diry tank or petcock. any ideas? Valveadjustment? Carb clean? thanks.

It would help to have a little more info. Are your plugs wet from fuel? Do you have the stock airbox installed? (very important). Is the vacuum line that draws fuel from your tank capped off to stop that vacuum leak? Have you checked the bowl drains on the carbs to see if you have gas in the bowls? Have you recently done a complete rebuild of your carbs? Have you done anything with the engine timing that could be affecting it? What year and model is your 850? (just a general question here).
    BassCliff will probably be along shortly with his mega welcome and a lot of interesting information and links to help you fix your bike.

Comment

More questions:
      How long has it been since the bike ran?
      Is this something new or have you just gotten the bike?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
        It would help to have a little more info. Are your plugs wet from fuel? Do you have the stock airbox installed? (very important). Is the vacuum line that draws fuel from your tank capped off to stop that vacuum leak? Have you checked the bowl drains on the carbs to see if you have gas in the bowls? Have you recently done a complete rebuild of your carbs? Have you done anything with the engine timing that could be affecting it? What year and model is your 850? (just a general question here).
        BassCliff will probably be along shortly with his mega welcome and a lot of interesting information and links to help you fix your bike.
        Stock airbox not installed right now because it didn't have it. I have one on order though. Plugs were not wet last time I pulled them to take a look but have been before. vacuum line is plugged. checked the bowl and it drains. Have not done a rebuild on the carbs. Have not done any engine timing adjustments. It's a 1980 gs 850.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          More questions:
          How long has it been since the bike ran?
          Is this something new or have you just gotten the bike?

It ran when i bought it and would cut out about 3 grand on the rpm meter. The guy i bought it from said it had a bad stator but that doesn't explain why I can't get it running right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tipwise View Post
            Stock airbox not installed right now because it didn't have it. I have one on order though. Plugs were not wet last time I pulled them to take a look but have been before. vacuum line is plugged. checked the bowl and it drains. Have not done a rebuild on the carbs. Have not done any engine timing adjustments. It's a 1980 gs 850.
            Originally posted by tipwise View Post
            It ran when i bought it and would cut out about 3 grand on the rpm meter. The guy i bought it from said it had a bad stator but that doesn't explain why I can't get it running right now.
            No intake restriction (airbox/air filters) will keep it from starting/running. A bad stator won't normally keep it from running over 3k rpm on the tach. If the plugs weren't wet the last time you pulled them, you're not getting fuel into the cylinders.
            Before doing the required carb work (you're going to have to pull the rack of carbs, get all new o-rings and completely clean each carb, soaking them in carb cleaner. Don't get the parts mixed up, each carb has its own parts. You'll probably need to check valve shim clearances as well.
            Anyway, here's a link to BassCliff's compilations of help: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._Greeting.html

and

Good luck!

Comment

good advice from DanTheMan. I'm way less of a true mechanic as these guys, more of a "awdang-now-i-have-to-actually-work-on-it-instead-of-riding-it" mechanic, but that is sometimes a good thing. Try the "simple things" first as my dad always would say. Do not make the mistake of overlooking the simple and obvious before you "approve surgery" of some type.

Airbox: agree somewhat. Jetted way too lean stock to run right w/o airbox. however it should still start/run. when I changed my first gs to K&N's (very close to no filters as far a restriction) before I had carbs rejetted, it still started and ran AND I could actually ride it as well. I had to play the choke a lot trying to compensate for lean condition and stay out of the throttle as I'm sure many sitesuperstars would tell u choke only controls idle / low throttle openings as far as carb.

"Breaking up above 3k": may we assume it runs "great" (all 4 cyl, etc) under 3K? Because if so, my guess would be a spark/timing problem. Are you running stock or aftermarket (like Dyna) or what for ignition AND coils?

"Bad Stator": if your battery is good and has a good charge, the bike should still run perfectly even with a bad stator if all else is good. At least for about 20-50 miles.

"Got spark": how good is the spark? Any old spark does not mean GOOD spark needed for good combustion. Is it FAT BLUE spark?

Last and important: "Won't start": does that mean the bike is "trying" like you get some "pops" but it won't start, or the starting is just spinning away with absolutely no "pop" at all (which would be due to either 0 fuel or 0 spark)?

Comment

I am doing a few things and waiting for parts and I will report back. I need intake o rings. air intake boots and carb/airbox boots. where is the best place to get this stuff?

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tipwise,

Sorry I'm late to the party.

where is the best place to get this stuff?
                  Check the vendor list in your "mega-welcome". Shop around a little to look for the best overall prices (parts plus shipping). BikeBandit is usually quickest, partshark is usually the cheapest, others have their advantages and disadvantages. Now let me say "Hi".

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-17-2009, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X