Is any amound of intake leak ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is any amound of intake leak ok?

Is any amount of intake leak ok? Its cousing my Idle to climb up to 2000 when warmed up, but I just don't want to take it apart again. The idle tends to settle down intermitantly. I did the starter fluid test and it made my idle climb a little on each intake boot. I stuffed some old jeans under the air box to make sure I wasn't getting mist into the air box itself. I have new O-rings in them, and its not bad. I was afraid to do the propane test. Is it safe to do? I understand it makes the bike bog down when leaks are present.

don't use propane. check make sure all of the clamps are tight

Comment

i added a bit of black silcone RTV around the outsides of my carb boots. it was kinda hard to get in there, so maybe a Q-tip might help...but a good dab around the surface where the boot meets the engine case can't hurt.

my idle flucatates very little.

~Adam

Comment

Re: Is any amound of intake leak ok?

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
        Is any amount of intake leak ok? Its cousing my Idle to climb up to 2000 when warmed up, but I just don't want to take it apart again. The idle tends to settle down intermitantly. I did the starter fluid test and it made my idle climb a little on each intake boot. I stuffed some old jeans under the air box to make sure I wasn't getting mist into the air box itself. I have new O-rings in them, and its not bad. I was afraid to do the propane test. Is it safe to do? I understand it makes the bike bog down when leaks are present.
        To better understand air intake leaks,check out my topic in this section:Higher idle when warm= air leak. A small rise in rpm's(200-300)is Ok,but not a large rise. Make sure the carbs were ''popped'' into their boots(both sides if using stock air box) correctly and re-tighten your clamps.Did you torque the rubber manifolds to about 9 ft/lb?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X