r/r with 7 wires gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

r/r with 7 wires gs850

hi, the first thing i bought off ebay was this r/r. it said for a gs and was cheap so went for it. anywho now comes the time for getting it wired in and in my manual it says about 5 wires and not 7.
    done a search but cant find others with 7 wires on here. (the search wont include the number 7 as its too common).
    i understand that the 3 white ones will join with the 3 wires from the generator, the black is probably earth and the red i guess is the +ive side of the battery. this leaves me with the brown and the green.

cannot see a part number on it either

any ideas greatly recieved

john

The green & brown are the odd ones... No idea on those. Could be to go to a gauge set I guess for monitoring maybe?

3 yellows are stator. Black is ground & Red is live.

I guess it's very possible you could just leave those two with not connected & it will work.... (Just a guess)

What brand & model number is the RR ?

Thinking they could also be sense wire & an extra 12v live... which might make it off a Honda.

Others with more knowledge than me will be along I'm sure....
    Last edited by salty_monk; 10-07-2009, 02:33 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

The 3 white wires tells me it comes off a Yamaha. If you look at a wiring diagram of the XJ550 you will see that it has 7 wires and the Green and Brown wires are the control to the field winding.

Unfortunately this will not work on a GS850 that has a fixed magnet alternator.

Comment

thanks guys, its looking like it is a yamaha one. been comparing the new ones on ebay and they look the same for the xj600 through to xj900's so think it will be going back on there. got it cheap so might even make some money.

next time i will wait till i have a manual before i start buying stuff

Comment

Get one from this guy. He's a member and test them before he ships them to you. Just pm or email him.

Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

just looked in my shed and found the old r/r off my fzr600 which says yamaha tdm850 on the back. it has 5 wires so might wire that up when i get a chance. my fzr now has a 99-01 R6 R/R on it as it came with the r6 tail i bought. matchless will let you no how i go so u can add them to your list if they work. i guess i just need to check the amp rateing once its running?

Comment

Working...
            X