Oil cap bolt is stripped, what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cap bolt is stripped, what now?

I went to change the oil today, and there are 3 nuts that hold on the Oil Filter Cap, they came off fine.

However i went to put the cap back on and tighten the 3 bolts and ONE of them just hit a flat spot, it just wont get any tighter.

Do they make tap kits this small so i can re-thread the bolt or what?
    (the nut requires a 10mm currently)

Is there any way to insert a new bolt?
    Or if it safe to just re-thread the current bolt.

BTW: One of the Other bolts looks like it's getting flat in the middle too! The top bolt looks perfectly fine though.....

Anybody have any ideas?

You can unscrew the studs and replace with new. The best way to get the old studs out is to use the 2 nut trick and maybe a bit of heat.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
      I went to change the oil today, and there are 3 nuts that hold on the Oil Filter Cap, they came off fine.

However i went to put the cap back on and tighten the 3 bolts and ONE of them just hit a flat spot, it just wont get any tighter.

Do they make tap kits this small so i can re-thread the bolt or what?
      (the nut requires a 10mm currently)

Is there any way to insert a new bolt?
      Or if it safe to just re-thread the current bolt.

BTW: One of the Other bolts looks like it's getting flat in the middle too! The top bolt looks perfectly fine though.....

Anybody have any ideas?
      These should be studs coming out from the case, they are easy to replace.
      Suzuki carries them or any decent hardware store, Fastenall, etc.
      Get new nuts too so you don't ruin the new studs, and don't crank them down too tight.
      Finger tight putting the studs in, then the nuts go just a few inch pounds of torque, it's not much.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Okay guys, thanks, yep they take new bolts/studs, didnt notice that at first.

Part of the problem was the Nut was very flat and no thread on half of it.
        I went out and bought new nuts and added some washers on there too.

It holds tight!

Anybody happen to know the torque specs for these bolts?
        (you said just a few inch pounds right?)

I tried checking a few online manual websites, but no dice so far.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Comment

I also like to use a drop or so of blue loc-tite exactly because you do not want to over torque and risk stripping the nut or stud (as you now know and as I too know since it happened to me as well).

Blue LocTite is absolutley your friend if you own a motorcycle. Use it on almost everything - if you take it apart, locktite it when u put back together (use ur head tho...like NOT battery or anything and by all means BLUE and NOT RED (permanent thread locker) for almost everything).

Comment

You don't need loctite on these... the cover is sprung mounted (spring between cover & filter). This serves the same purpose as lock washers by keeping constant tension on the threads so they can't loosen off.

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

true and good point (although blu locktite would certainly not hurt anything). Two things come to mind now that saltymonk has chimed in: 1)make sure you have a sound ring gasket (looks like a crazy big curvy O ring) and 2)make sure you have that gasket correctly laying in grooves for it in the cover. Or things will leak.

I stand (sit?) corrected as far as locktite on oil filt cover, but besides that, i stand by my comment. blu loctite is your friend.

Comment

it won't hurt & yes - blue loctite is your friend for most things apart from clutch basket nuts & sprocket nuts, then red is better...

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    it won't hurt & yes - blue loctite is your friend for most things apart from clutch basket nuts & sprocket nuts, then red is better...

Dan
                    loctite is not required for these two nuts if the lock washers are used correctly
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Suzuki didn't require it... but they always loosen off even right from new so I heard. The ones I've done with both red loctite & the lock washer seem to have been fine.

I guess like blue loctite on your oil filter cover bolts it's personal choice....

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I like to use my 1/4" sockets for stuff like that. The oil filter cover requires a flat washer under the acorn nut. Quite often it is missing, then the nut is overtightened

Comment

sorry to just come barging in here, first official post.

I've got a 1979 GS 550L,and have found most of my answers in the forum here without having to post, **BUT** I just did the same thing as described in this thread, overtightened the acorn nut on the filter cover. Would someone mind explaining exactly what it is that I can buy to replace the stud?

I get that the stud is replaceable, but is there a specific name that I should ask for at the hardware store? I've never had to do this before so I want to get it right the first time. (also, a specific size might be helpful)

Also, am I correct in assuming that the "two nut trick" described earlier in the thread is to thread two nuts onto the stud so that the outer acts as a lock nut so that the inner can be turned, thus unscrewing the stud?

Thanks in advance

dre

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post

I've got a 1979 GS 550L,and have found most of my answers in the forum here without having to post, **BUT** I just did the same thing as described in this thread, overtightened the acorn nut on the filter cover. Would someone mind explaining exactly what it is that I can buy to replace the stud?

I get that the stud is replaceable, but is there a specific name that I should ask for at the hardware store? I've never had to do this before so I want to get it right the first time. (also, a specific size might be helpful)

Also, am I correct in assuming that the "two nut trick" described earlier in the thread is to thread two nuts onto the stud so that the outer acts as a lock nut so that the inner can be turned, thus unscrewing the stud?

Thanks in advance

dre

You need a 6mm stud (6mm is the thread diameter, 1mm is the thread pitch) and it needs to be at least 32mm long.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by drejal View Post

Thanks in advance

dre
                              Welcome !!

Honestly.......I'd just order them from partshark or one of the other parts places. Figure out some other little do-dads you need to make it worth the shipping. Maybe new acorn nuts and a few oil cover o-rings. To me, I'd rather order them, have them delivered to my door and not have to run all over the place trying to locate them.......but, that's just me. And yes...that's the trick for removing the studs.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X