Oil cap bolt is stripped, what now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent!

Just placed the order. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      You don't need loctite on these... the cover is sprung mounted (spring between cover & filter). This serves the same purpose as lock washers by keeping constant tension on the threads so they can't loosen off.
      I have also been caught out by these little studs / acorn nuts. I change the oil when hot, and did not use proper hand protection when tightening the nuts. The spring between cover and filter results in you having to use quite a bit of force when tightening the nuts - and this leads to stripped threads on the studs.

After replacing all 3 studs (even though only one had stripped) I now use gloves, and always press the cover firmly against the force of the spring, so that it is flush against the filter housing. Now the 3 acorn nuts can easily be turned in all the way using your other hand, and then just tightened snugly.

There is now no need to exert any large force on these relatively small fasteners.
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

On a related note, I was in Advance Auto Parts buying something for my car and the guy said, "Anything else?" And I half jokingly said an oil filter for my 1980 GS550 and darned if they didn't have one. $4.50 including the funny shaped gasket. You might try them next time you change your oil.

Comment

SO....

After dealing with the stripped stud, ordering 3 new studs/washers/nuts to fix the problem....

I'm sure I have the cover on tight enough, I'm afraid to really crank down on the nuts, because that just causes the problem i just fixed, but there is an ever-so-slight oil leak coming from the oil filter cover.

Has anyone had this problem? In the morning, I'll come out and look under the bike to find about a teaspoon of oil has dripped underneath. I've ridden a couple times, and noticed as soon as i stop, there is a drop of oil on the ground. (so I'm sure it's dripping as it runs) Does it just sound like the O-ring is shot? (I have had the cover off a few times due to the stripped nut problem)

Just wondering if the process of removing/replacing the cover a few times is known to kill the o-ring, or if anyone has encountered any other leaking issues like this?

Comment

Working...
          X