exhaust bolts coming loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust bolts coming loose

Allrighty folks, just like the title says, my exhaust bolts won't stay torqued down.

I did a search and found post after post of stuck or broken off exhaust bolts but nothing about this. I could literally retighten them before every ride. If left alone after about 150 miles of riding I can hear the exhaust leaking at the heads.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? I was thinking of some loc-tite or something but am scared of that and also not sure it would work with the high heat in that area. Maybe some lock washers on there?

Got any ideas throw em out there. I am looking for any suggestions to keep them tight.

Maybe try the lock washers first. I just used the anti-sieze and it worked for me.
    82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
    81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
    83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
    06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
    AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Never heard of that but threads somewhere must be inadequate. I guess you can't really check the internal female threads but how do the threads on the bolts look.?
      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
      1983 GS 1100 G
      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

anti seize and new bolts

Comment

Anti seize and new bolts, also.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            anti seize and new bolts
            Originally posted by 67fire View Post
            Anti seize and new bolts, also.

Eric
            Agreed...and fresh gaskets wouldn't hurt either....
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I expect New Gaskets would help a lot - they sort of "push back" in the way a lock washer does when they're new... When they're fully compressed from lots of use they don't do this...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

As Salty stated, it could not hurt.
                I have re-used the same gaskets for many, many years though.
                And yes, I have to remove my exhaust for each oil change. ( One piece system)

Eric

Comment

I would use studs and nuts, not bolts. Your threads in the head must be worn, studs will wear them less.
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

If you use studs you could put them in with red loctite. Check the temp rating, they do one that will take high heat.

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I feel for ya man. In general, listen to Salty on this post.
                      My 2 cents: red locktite is pretty permanent, so yeah you can (prob should as Salt says) use on in the head end of exhaust studs. BUT, and as several posts also state, use anti-sieze goop on the stud end that you attach ex/header too.

Or you'll have a hell of an impossible time getting the header off when you have to ch the oil (I have same situation w my header too as far as has to come off to ch oil).

Ok, 67fire et al - exhaust gaskets? what? i can't see what bike drfosgate has, but mine has no such thing...it's more like a "compression fitting" thing. Is it just his year bike which I don't know about, or am I ready for a white coat with straps and a rubber room???

Comment

One of mine actually came loose just like yours (right at the headers) coming from work the other day. I just tightened it back down when I got back home, but now that I know this is kinda common and not an isolated thing, I'll order those new gaskets on my eBay watch list and locate some new bolts.

Comment

I actually lost a couple of bolts once, (exhaust was getting awfully loud......), but I installed new gaskets when I did the head gasket and that made a big difference. They stil loosen up periodically, but I check them and tighten them as needed, just like my tach cable.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewpogany View Post
                            Ok, 67fire et al - exhaust gaskets? what? i can't see what bike drfosgate has, but mine has no such thing...it's more like a "compression fitting" thing. Is it just his year bike which I don't know about, or am I ready for a white coat with straps and a rubber room???
                            Yes. You have exhaust gaskets. If you look at a fische for your bike it's #4 on the muffler diagram. If you don't have 'em, I'd get a new set. Sometimes the old ones have been left in there so long, they look like a part of the head and are difficult to see.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Both of my GSs came with only 7 bolts. My 850 had no gaskets (I've since bought them, haven't installed them). I haven't had the exhaust off my 650 yet to see if there are exhaust gaskets on it, or if the PO didn't think they were important enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X