Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

electrical mod, feel dumb, please help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical mod, feel dumb, please help..

so, I read something on the triumph forums about maintaining better voltage by installing a 30 amp inline fuse from the regulator to the battery.......

anyways, I've read this a few times, but for some reason I can't follow... see title, I feel as though I'm a complete moron right now because now matter how many times I've read it, i feel as though i am missing something........

please, read that post I linked and correct me if I misunderstood the post....... did he link the regulator wires like so

(red hot) reg-----30amp in line----battery
    (black ground) directly to battery?

I feel absolutely retarded trying to figure this out since I have funky voltage issues and wish to try this

after looking at the picture I think i may have it.... hopefully.... once again, please take a look for me

(red hot)----> 30 amp inline ----> positive battery post
    (black ground) ------> negative battery post

Comment

Originally posted by apcsox View Post
      so, I read something on the triumph forums about maintaining better voltage by installing a 30 amp inline fuse from the regulator to the battery.......

How is adding a fuse going to help charging?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

from what i read on those forums it helps maintain the voltage output better than the stock setup

Comment

from what i read on those forums it helps maintain the voltage output better than the stock setup
          Maybe someone needs to read a basic electricity book.

My guess, if this guy had any improvement at all, is that he cleaned up a few poor connections along the way at the same time.
          What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

His "improvement" was not necessarily the fuse, it was the direct wire.

There is nothing wrong with wiring it that way.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

A fuse is just "a piece of wire" which melts before any other important wires melt. The only way a fuse effects a circuit is to act like an open switch when it it "pops"

Comment

He didn't add anything, he replaced two small fuses with one big one, and used larger wire all along the way.
                That could help, if these were too small to begin with..

Comment

Read Steve's post below. He's right on (again...dang that guy is good). Exactly what I was going to say.

This is basically the same thing as most of the RR stuff/advice here and elsewhere which is to wire RR POS direct as well as RR Ground direct to battery.

(BTW do yourself a favor and read some of the stuff on BassCliff's gs site...very clear...will help you with the old "101" education
                  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/).

Comment

okay, so basically the main thing here is just to directly wire the regulator outputs straight to the battery as opposed to their stock routing? all this guy did was a roundabout method of this

Comment

okay, so basically the main thing here is just to directly wire the regulator outputs straight to the battery as opposed to their stock routing? all this guy did was a roundabout method of this
                      The guy that posted that is the same guy that posted info on how to upgrade your R/R to one of the modern FET type. The idea, as the others have mentioned, is to remove the old wiring from the circuit and start fresh.

Regarding the 30A fuse, for a GS charging system I don't think you need more than a 15A fuse - at least, that's all Suzuki used on our bikes unless I'm missing something here.
                      Last edited by Nessism; 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I wondered about the fuses too... I guess it's there to protect the battery from a faulty RR or a short in the wire? Can't think of anything else?

Not much point using big wire & then a 15a fuse though... the RR's are rated to 50A - I don't know what's right just thinking aloud!

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well, my 79 gs has only one single (and pretty rickety lookin' so hard to believe it's held up - I cleaned it today) 15A main fuse. Honda RR has been wired in (although not optimally) and worked w/o blowing the fuse for over 10years.

So the point here is that yes indeed Suzuki put a 15A fuse on the charging system. At least in 77/78 they did.

I still ran a fat (30A) wire and put a 15A blade fuse in when I wired my RR direct to battery. I like fat. In wires that is since overkill will almost never hurt you but unkill could = fire!

Comment

Working...
                          X