correct mirror, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

correct mirror, or not?

The fastener that the mirror screws into no longer holds the mirror in place after adjusting. It appears to be slightly split, causing it to come loose.

Now, I don't know because this may be one of the things that suffered before I bought her, but...

Is this is stock mirror?

A stock mirror is 60+ bucks. I'm happy to order it IF it fits into the threaded adjuster on the bar and I'm replacing a worn out stock mirror right here.

My bike is far from perfect, so if this mirror isn't stock, and a close approximation is available, will work and costs less than 60.00, is that standard practice? And, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to acquire such a thing?

My frame of reference here is a 1972 280 SEL. Anything trim related is always OEM Mercedes, even if it costs a lot of money. Stuff like my brake calipers and rotors are not! But I'm not in danger of low speed tip overs in my Mercedes...

Ann

Ann,

Which part is it that seems broke? Not certain that I am understanding you.
    - The nut that you see? If its the nut, well, I suppose any nut that fits the threads would suffice, just not look as nice.
    - Or the part that is mounted on the handle bar? The mirror stem screws into the part that is clamped onto the handlebars. And that part is the clutch lever assembly.

You say "the fastener that the mirror screws into". What is confusing me is that the mirror stem screws into the handle bar part (black), and I dont think you would call that a fastener. And the only part that I can thing would be called a fastener is the nut (chrome).

Have you backed off that nut, and unscrewed the mirror stem from the part on handle bar ?
    (the mirror stem screws into the handle bar part, the nut is just to keep it from turning further)

Mirrors are fairly interchangable between different models and brands, so many others would fit and be usable. Is a choice of many many in Dennis Kirk catalog (good price, maybe not best price, but great catalog with lots of selection).

But, first, let us determine what part it is that seems broken.

I would say that, no, that is not stock mirrors for 650G.
    Mirrors on the 82 650G I had (from new) were round (click on circle after username to see pics on my homepage).

SOme people dont like the stock zuki mirrors because they are so big round. And some people dont like them because they are so high and are so wide, but that is what it takes to look over and around the riders shoulder.

Last edited by Redman; 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM. Reason: spulling and reword

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If it is the treaded part that is broken IE the female end that the mirror screws into, then that would need replaced, or use some epoxy or JB weld. You can interchange mirrors from most vintage bikes except I believe its yamaha that has a reverse thread. But as long as it is a 10mm right hand thread. you should be good once the mount is fixed or replaced. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        ..."the fastener that the mirror screws into". What is confusing me is that the mirror stem screws into the handle bar part (black), and I dont think you would call that a fastener. And the only part that I can thing would be called a fastener is the nut (chrome).

Have you backed off that nut, and unscrewed the mirror stem from the part on handle bar ?
        I looked at it really quickly but won't have time to mess with it till Sunday - I'll spend more time on it then.

And - all the diagrams I saw are all with round mirrors, so I questioned the correctness of that rectangular mirror. I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice a nice OEM mirror to my developing skill though. Not for 60+ bucks.

Thanks for the Dennis Kirk catalog reference - thats what I needed!

Ann

Comment

Look on the other front side of the mirror, if it says superbike GP it is a common replacement brand, seem to be fair quality.
          They work OK, if you can see around your elbows.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I've had nothing but bad luck from aftermarket mirrors. The glass always seems to come loose and fall out. It's happened to me twice with Emgo mirrors. I prefer to find a used pair of OEM mirrors.

Comment

Don't condemn the rest of the aftermarket based on your experience with EMGO.

We have mirrors that look like Ann's and other mirrors, too. Have never had a problem with the glass.
              However, the rectangular head seems to loosen up with no apparent way of tightening it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't condemn the rest of the aftermarket based on your experience with EMGO.

I am only going with my past experience. If given the choice between used oem and new aftermarket, I'm going to buy OEM. New OEM is too expensive for me.

Comment

Round or square...

Those square mirrors look identical to the ones I have on my 81' 650G.

I have not had a problem with the mirror head not staying in position, but the stalk not staying in position, resulting in the dreaded "weather vane" syndrome.

One way you can "tighten up" the head on the stalk is to put some liquid teflon tape on the ball joint and work it around for a couple of minutes to get it to penetrate behind the weather seal, then wipe off the excess. Try to get the mirror pretty much where you want it, and let it sit over night. I have done this a couple times with mostly good results on automotive mirrors. It all depends on how badly worn the ball and socket joint is to begin with.

It may take a few treatments for it to build up enough to get the tension to an acceptable level for the mirror to stay in place. Mind you the mirrors I have done this with were OEM metal automotive mirrors, so I can not guarantee this method will work, but I see no reason why it should not since all we are doing here is trying to build up a vibration resistant liner in the socket.

You can of course go the other route and purchase an "inexpensive" set of mirrors, that way you have 2 new ones. If you are concerned about the glass falling out due to vibration (never had it happen to me, just lucky I guess) then merely add a couple drops worth of the super/krazy glue of your choice at the edge of the glass where the mirror meets up with the housing. Make sure you add it almost on the side of the glass, so it will be drawn under the glass plate by capillary action, and quickly wipe off the excess with a cotton rag, or wait for it to cure and scrape it off with a razor blade.

Hope this helps.

Comment

round mirrors

Suzuki used both the round and a rectangular mirror. It seems like if the bike came with round turn signals they installed round mirrors. Rectangular mirrors came on bikes with rectangular turn signal lights. This pattern didn't always hold true but if you look at the old brochures you see some of both.

As far as what's broken...sounds like your clutch lever bracket is split where the miror screws into it. You probably should try to find a replacement.

That said: I've used a variety of aftermarket mirrors with great success. The mount is almost universal (Yamaha being the famous exception) and there are a million choices out there in almost any price range. Pick one you like, quit worrying about it and ride.

Comment

Shoot, I use a set of harley mirrors off a sportster. They act as the pivot bolt for my brake/clutch.

Comment

Yeah, I've had several bikes with square mirrors, where the stamped thin metal on the back splits.

I've had good luck with aftermarket mirrors, including EMGO.....maybe I live a clean life, and the mirror god smiles on me.....

Comment

I use a set of harley mirrors off a sportster
                          Maybe that's why your bike doesn't run right

Comment

Working...
                          X