back brake locks up stuck, damn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back brake locks up stuck, damn

ok my rear brakes are locked, usually they go 'click' and release after a second or two, but are just plain jammed now.
    sometimes i could unlock them if i jerk the bike forward pretty good.

the lever on hub is within the two limit marks, what is wrong ?

thanks for anything, front brakes arent much better since the screech alot

lubrication?

i have no clue about drum brakes except on my car...sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
      lubrication?

i have no clue about drum brakes except on my car...sorry.
      i dunno, its just a simple rod from pedal back to hub, seems internal problem to me, ive never been insid eof a motorbike brake hub yet, but i understand the laignment notches and how to use them for when i get inside of it, i wonde rif a return spring or something is weak or broken, cant be water or anything cuz bike is kept in shed so hmm... but we had 2.25 inches of rain last night alone, and 7" a week before that, we been getting nailed every time it seems. not as bad as some of IN though this year..

they arent grabby they just get stuck if you try to use them to stop stop,
      when you just slow up and let off then they are ok pretty much.

thanks

Comment

Push the lever towards the rear of the bike to release your shoes, then ride to the local bike shop where you will put money down on the counter to get new shoes, then proceed home to install. Refrain from using the back brake. Yours are worn to the point where the eliptical peice in the drum is turning past where the spring can turn it back. This happens when people try to get more usage out of a pair of shoes by removing the arm and turning it on the splines to get more rotation. But then your brakes lock. Now, once you have it apart. clean the eliptical peice and put some lithium grease on it before putting it back into the hole in the drum. Your brake woes should be gone for a long time depending on how often and hard you use your back brakes.

Comment

Another option would be to have the old shoes relined if they arn't chewed up Look in the phone book under brake supply. You have no choice but to take the rear wheel off and check it

Comment

we dont have shoe places or anything liek that here either, we had a shoe supplier for a few years but they closed up and went away, just like other places do. this town is not very uhmm what you call it... hmm.. hospitable ? to businesses, let alone new ones wanting to start up or move to town.. never have been either, damn now i gotta be down for another week or two. damn.. just got the bike

i guess thats how it works./.

soembody must have move the arm then, yep. where should the mark on the arm line up at when its all back together with new shoes
            ?
            i may take it apart today.

thanks for your info and time

Comment

since are no parts palces around here and i would have to drive a while and waut over a week to get any shoes i posted shoes wanted here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...?p=95276#95276

thanks for anything at all

R

Comment

I got rear shoes for my 450 in pretty decent time, I ordered them from Dennis Kirk . They seem to have a wide variety and shipping ups ground is free (handling is still like 5-6$) and takes around 4 days. Anyplace here in Houston that has offered to order me parts has been 7-10 working days (basically 2 weeks).

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450
                  I got rear shoes for my 450 in pretty decent time, I ordered them from Dennis Kirk . They seem to have a wide variety and shipping ups ground is free (handling is still like 5-6$) and takes around 4 days. Anyplace here in Houston that has offered to order me parts has been 7-10 working days (basically 2 weeks).

Hope that helps.
                  cool thanks, do you know if they will accept a money order ? i dont have a card currently, so..

also, what do i get ? non-asbestos, or kevlar, or sintered ? whats stock correct for original stock 80 450L ? using them in high humidity region always normally in the 90-100% relative humidity range here, always hitting the dewpoint constantly here.

thanks!

Comment

Buying replacement brake shoes for are old GS bikes I don't think you have a choice about type of material.

Comment

EBC has Kevlar shoes for your bike.

This website is for sale! onoffroad.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, onoffroad.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                        Buying replacement brake shoes for are old GS bikes I don't think you have a choice about type of material.
                        yes i have three choices, all three different materials,

is it ok to run kevlar on stock original drum ?

thanks

Comment

I have the same problem, but it is my rear caliper locking up. I took it apart cleaned everything with brake cleaner and noticed that one of the o rings were shot. Could this be a cause of the brakes locking up?

thanks
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by fast68
                            is it ok to run kevlar on stock original drum ?
                            I don't think EBC would offer Kevlar shoes if there was any problem running them.

Comment

Working...
                            X