Rewiring 82 GS850?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewiring 82 GS850?

Okay I just purchased the bike and someone did a rewire job on it to remove all the unecessary stuff. Needless to say he did not get to complete it. I would like to rewire it just enough to make it run, a headlight and a tailight. Need some help. I plan on making it a Bobber but am not so knowledgeable on rewiring. I have seen that there is a ton of knowledgeable people on this site. I have seen a wiring diagram but it is for a GS1100 I believe, not sure if it's the same. I do not have a service manual yet but plan on getting one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can post some pics if it would help anyone to see what it has been done.

Heh..
    Dude, I just went through the EXCACT same thing. Even the same bike, 82 GS850G. Wow.. Did away with all the safety and indicator BS. Didnt need a pretty light to tell me what gear Im in.
    All I wanted was headlight with high low, tail light with front and rear brakelight, sigs, and a correct charging system.
    Do your homework, buy a miltimeter, a new battery, a charger wouldnt hurt. Good crimpers are a must with good wire connectors. Look at diagrams, study, study. Its not as bad as it seems but its still pretty bad.

My bro-n-law and I worked on mine for 12 solid hours and finally got it right.
    Are the wires for the ignition switch intact?

sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

No the PO installed a regular on off switch with a push button starter? So I take it you do not have any kind of wiring diagram?

Comment

Originally posted by justintime_3 View Post
        I do not have a service manual yet but plan on getting one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        You can download an entire 850 service manual (including the wiring diagram) from Bikecliff's site:

FYI - your 1982 GS850G will carry the letter "Z" at the end to signify it's an '82. (e.g., GS850GZ, or GS850GLZ).

You will find it near the top of the page (155MB), pretty big file so be patient... page 386 starts the specific 850GZ stuff - the wiring diagram is on page 422.
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by justintime_3 View Post
          No the PO installed a regular on off switch with a push button starter? So I take it you do not have any kind of wiring diagram?
          You mean like a home made diagram? No, I used a factory diagram to know what was what and went from there.
          Also I maintained factory handlebar switches and ignition.
          Not really anything I can tell ya that will help. Ya just need to study and figure out what you want and what you dont.
          I have a blownup color factory diagram that I hung in the wall as reference. There is a lot going on in that left handlebar switch, especially if you want turn signals.
          Its not real bad once you figure it out. I can say that now, lol.

The downloadable manuals are ok but I purchased a Clymer and even those, the diagram kinda sux.
          Do a google search for a "basic motorcycle diagram" and reference this site often. The search feature is awsome.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

So went out to the garage and figured almost everything out. Kind of a pain in the ass but once you figure it out it seems pretty simple. Only problem I have is the box about 4x1 inches square not really sure what it is has a black burnt wire going into it. On the other end the wire goes through a four prong plug and looks as though it connects to the coil packs and grounds everything out. Any suggestions what may have caused this or how to fix it. Or what the box does.

Comment

it might be the ignition box, but 4 x 1 seems a little thin ( the 1 part).

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. justintime_3,

Please visit my site. You'll find a lot of GS850 lovin' there...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oh believe me Mr BassCliff I have been all over your site for tons and tons of info. A BIG Thank You for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                  X