Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1100ED Crankshaft Circlip (right side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ED Crankshaft Circlip (right side)

I was replacing the crank end seal under the ignition cover and noticed that there is a large circlip on the end of the crank supposedly holding the end bearing in place. The circlip is bent as if the bearing has been forced off the shaft. I removed the circlip and tried to flatten it with a 5 lbs hammer on an anvil. It is straighter and I don't really plan to use it just seeing if I could even get it back in as it appears the outer bearing has slipped and the circlip will not fit any more.

Any suggestions?

Looking at the end bearing it appears to just be pressed on and that is it . This is the 83 ED welded crank version.

Chef says it is my beveled clutch gears that is driving this output bearing out.
    Last edited by posplayr; 10-09-2009, 02:18 AM.

Bill is mistaken. Put a new clip on it & put it back together. Yours is the first one I know of to have done that. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
      Bill is mistaken. Put a new clip on it & put it back together. Yours is the first one I know of to have done that. Ray.

Thanks Ray; BTW I left a message that the 80-81 GS750 right side bolts are 1/4" longer than the 83 GS1100 right side bolts. The bolt that stripped was 1/4" shorter than the GS1100 bolts (I checked the parts bike and they are both the same length ; 1/4" shorter than GS750). I'm gonna use the 750 bolts on both of the 1100 holes.

This given me more than a 1/2" of thread even on the one that was stripped.

Maybe I gots too much end play maybe?

Jim

Comment

It occured to me that this could be part of the damage caused when the PO laid over the bike onto the ignition cover. The original ignition advance had been bent and there could have been additional end pressure from that hich had bent the circlip.

I'll get one on order today.

Comment

OK Ray convinced me to deal with the issue (not use a thinner cir-clip) but I really did not want to remove the motor to take off the lower case.

Talking with one of the engineers at work that used to do allot of motorcycle work a guy at work we came up with the following puller solution. Worked pretty good. I was able to get a stock Suzuki cir-clip back into the groove . No pounding with a hammer (from stator side) and it was very controlled. Just spun the starter after tightening the plates.

OK next problem If you have ever swapped out your ignition side crank seal; it can be a biatch to get back in. I failed twice. Bill gave me the idea to put the seal in the freezer to harden the rubber. Actually what really helps is the seal is metal encased in rubber and the metal shrinks so I think this helped allot.

Other things that Ray suggested
          • bevel the case opening where the seal slides in to avoid cutting the rubber.
          • Grease the seal well on inside and outside
          • Use a large socket 2"+ (it is the 2nd from the largest in my 3/4" drive set.)
          • Be very careful to drive the seal in straight, don't try and straighten it by driving it; it will cut the rubber.
          Last reco for a GS1100E is that the two outset Case bolts around the end bearing have very deep threads and they are not all used. The 80-81 GS750 bolts in the same location are about 1/4" longer. They fit fine and have more threads to bite. Torque to 17ft-lbs

I reinstalled the GS750 bolts with the Permatec black RTV.

I'm really excited It may not be leaking any oil in the morning.

Comment

COOL!!! Jim, we need to change your post name to "I ain't splittin the cases! Posplayer!!!" LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              COOL!!! Jim, we need to change your post name to "I ain't splittin the cases! Posplayer!!!" LOL!!! Ray.
              Not for no Fing circlip anyway; I gotta do some real damage like Bill does

Comment

Working...
              X