where do these wires go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where do these wires go?

so, I was taking a look at upgrading my regulator.... I noticed that I have five wires coming out of my regulator.... two go to the stator, two go into the bundle of wires that go to god knows where and one is the ground.....

I've seen most of the "upgrading your regulator to XYZ model'' threads say something along the lines of "the three wires that come from the stator....."

so, my question is, why does my third stator wire disappear into the wire bundle as opposed to going to the r/r and why do two wires from ym r/r disappear into the wiring bundles? am I missing something....?

I know on my 1980 750L, one of the stator wires is routed up through the headlight switch. There is no reason you can't wire all three legs to the R/R, you will just need to do some rewiring.

Comment

hmmm, that'd make sense, that is the direction it heads in....

Comment

Headlight. to get as much power straight there as possible.

Comment

If you have an older model with the headlight off switch then for reasons we can not determine Suzuki saw fit to cut one leg of the stator off from the regulator when the headlight was off.

It would seem this would lower the ability of the stator to power the bike and top off the battery. The nearest guess we have is this was supposed to reduce the load on the underpowered regulator.

Today we know the best thing to do is to replace the POS regulator the bike was equipped originally with a Honda RR or something else better.

Here is a diagram to help simplify things

1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I want to replace it, the problem is there isn't the 3 wires going to the stock r/r from the stator, only 2 and the one that disappears to the headlight apparently.... also, the fact there are two wires that leave the regulator into the wiring jumble.... I dont know which ones to cut and splice to where

Comment

You need a wiring diagram for your bike. Trace the wires and you will figure out where they go.

Comment

anybody know where I can find one for a 1980 550e?

Comment

Originally posted by apcsox View Post
                  anybody know where I can find one for a 1980 550e?
                  Oh, I don't know....
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  |
                  V

Comment

Working...
                  X