Valve Cover Breather Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all sorts of ready to re-install my breather cover and finish up my valve cover re-install. I just need to know which side of this gasket I need facing up. It's got a smooth side, and a rough side. There are two asymmetrical holes in the gasket, one large, and one small. They are both on the same side of the gasket, and the large hole is towards the back of the engine. Which side of the engine should these holes be on? They seem like important oil/vapor passages, and I'd really like to not mess this up.

I should probably mention the bike is an 82 EZ, and the gasket is OEM per Bike Bandit's fiches.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-2009, 12:17 AM.

I found a picture of it on Real Gasket's website:

Comment

Not sure but I would guess shiny side down as it would absorb less oil?

Eric

Comment

Bump........
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Try it on for correct install. Position the gasket on both the valve cover & on the breather cover, try it both ways on both covers. If either of the holes line up with anything, put it on that way, if neither of the holes line up with anything, it doesn't matter. If the holes don't line up with anything, install the rough side of the gasket to the surface you would rather the gasket to stick to at the next removal.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I just had to replaced mine (it was missing) and ran across the same problem. I ended up looking at the microfiche for the cylinder head cover at http://www.babbittsonline.com/ and the diagram shows the large and small holes going to the left side of the engine. Anyways I installed mine just like the diagram shows and have not had any problems.

Joe[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/JOEPEL%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
            X