gs750e electrical problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750e electrical problem

I have an 80 gs750e. Runs great, however, I have recently started to have electrical problems with the running lights. The headlamp and tail running lights have been going out on me. I lost the low beam one day, but the others worked. Then I lost the high beam and the tail light. Brakes, blinkers all still work, only the constant-on lights have been failing. This happened last weekend and I completely disconnected and reconnected every connection on the bike. Needless to say, I got it working. Fuses are not blown. I have the manual, but trying to read the schematic is kind of confusing. Any suggestions on where to look first. I am not sure which connection fixed it for me and I'd rather not have to do that all again. :x ..This is driving me nuts! Please help. THANKS!!!

p.s. Alwyn678.. if I can get these lights straightened out, I'll be ready for a ride!

You seem to have already solved the problem, when cleaning up the connections.

Since you have only one power lead for the headlight, when the low beam went out, and the high was still OK, this is a bad connection. Most likely the problems are in the headlight basket.

Ont thing to do (after cleaning all connections) is to add a bit of dielectric grease to the connections and put them back together., but make sure every connection is TIGHT.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
      You seem to have already solved the problem, when cleaning up the connections.

Since you have only one power lead for the headlight, when the low beam went out, and the high was still OK, this is a bad connection. Most likely the problems are in the headlight basket.

Ont thing to do (after cleaning all connections) is to add a bit of dielectric grease to the connections and put them back together., but make sure every connection is TIGHT.
      But would that make the tail light go out too? This is what confuses me.

Comment

Check what your battery voltage is when the engine is running (5000rpm).
        It sounds as if you have a high voltage. It should be 14 to 14.5 volts.

Comment

i haven't checked my voltage, because I am not quite sure how to do that, but it seems to me that it's a connection of some sort. Can anyone give me an idea of where i should look on the harness? I don't think it's in the basket because it affects the tail lamp too...

Comment

put a voltmeter (Radioshack has them for $20) on the battery with the engine running at about 5000 RPM.

the battery should see 14-14.5 volts as someone said.

~Adam

Comment

14 VOLTS at the battery. in further investigation, i have also realized that none of the back lights for the tach/speedo/gas gauge are working. :x

all the blinkers work, and when the brake is engaged, that works..

UPDATE>>>>UPDATE>>>>UPDATE:

I found the culprit. There was a snarl of wires under the tank bound with enough electrical tape to choke a horse. Gotta love previous owners. :roll: Thanks for the moral support

Comment

Working...
              X