Cam help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam help please!

One of the parts bikes that I picked up had a motor with only 12k miles on it. The PO let his friend steal the shims off of it. He took them off by taking the cam shafts off. Now, once I get ready to put it all back together, how do I go about trying to line this all up again? I have no idea what to do as far as lining it all back up and then getting the chain tight and everything.

FIRST thing, do you own a SHOP manual for this bike? If NOT, that needs to be your FIRST purchase! Ray.

Comment

I just have the downloaded manual from bikecliff

Comment

Ok, I just downloaded a more specific manual.

Comment

That will have the cam installation info you need. You will first need to get 8 thin shims to install BEFORE you put the cams back in so you don't damage the cams by rotating them with no shims in place. Ray.

Comment

I was thinking about taking the shims from my other motor, and then taking measurements once they are in so that I know what I need to get. Would that work?

Comment

Originally posted by jakeolsen View Post
              I was thinking about taking the shims from my other motor, and then taking measurements once they are in so that I know what I need to get. Would that work?
              That will work so you can install the cams. The idea behind using thin shims is so you can be assured of having some clearance when you measure the lash. If the shims are too thick you won't be able to get a feeler gauge in there so you won't be able to measure the lash.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Where are you? There might be a GS-er with a box 'o shims nearby. Put your location in your profile.

For example, if you're near Indy, I'd be happy to help.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You need to take the cam chain tensioner out too. I would suggest putting some new seals in it while it is apart

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    Where are you? There might be a GS-er with a box 'o shims nearby. Put your location in your profile.

For example, if you're near Indy, I'd be happy to help.
                    If you are about 90 miles east of there, I would happy to help.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am in central ilinois. right across the river from peoria.

Comment

Working...
                      X