New R/R and the wire harness still gets warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New R/R and the wire harness still gets warm

I did all the checks to be sure my stator was good and everything checked out! Tossed the ole' R/R and popped in the new electrex unit. Made sure there was a good ground (and i'll be adding a new ground tommorow directly from the battery - as a backup) and a good connection, but the wiring connector and the wires to the new r/r get warm.....warmer than i'd like them to ever be!

Any ideas on the problem? Should I replace the wires back to the stator?
    As far as I can see, everything looks good!

p.s. when I run the new ground, where should I run it to....obviously the frame is the first place, and should I run the black line out of the R/R directly to the battery too? but then what do I do with the black line coming from the stator harness?

Stumped -
    - Al Conforti

bump!

anyone?

Comment

Eliminate the connectors by soldering the wires together covered by heat shrink. Run your new ground directly to the negative side of battery rather than your frame. Black wire from stator harness? Someone else will have to help you, can't recall off hand.

Comment

there are 5 wires coming off of the r/r and stator harness.

3 are yellow (the stator input phases)
        1 is red (that would be +12v)
        1 is black (im assuming its ground)

The yellows/red (totaling 4) are in one connection with blade terminals, the black (what I am assuming is a ground) has a seperate connection with a bullet connector.

I don't want to wire this directly to the battery if its not a ground....

Thanks,
        Al

Comment

Its a ground.

The wire that was previously screwed to the battery box with the screw holding your rectifier is a ground.

Comment

my r/r is on the side frame, not the battery box....

Im going to assume its a ground 1) because its black and 2) a continuity check shows the wire as an infinite resistance to the ground....but I just wanted to be certain before I go blow up my brandy new $115 r/r

Thanks for the help!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X