Ignition Coil/Wire Resistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Coil/Wire Resistance

I seem to be getting a pretty weak spark on my 2/3 coil, but the 1/4 coil is sparking pretty strong. All plugs are NGK 9's gapped to .028. I checked the HT leads, expecting the 2/3 to come up very high but here's what I got instead -

2/3 HT wires, 35K Ohm(normal from what I can tell)
    1/4 HT wires, 75K Ohm(very high?)

It's exactly opposite what I thought it should be, so I'm at a loss here - is the 2/3 coil just bad?

35K secondary resistance is right for stock coils, measured from spark plug cap to cap. Measure the primary resistance while you're at it, should be around 5 ohmns for stock coils.

Are you running stock wires & caps?? Are your plugs resistor type plugs?? They would have an "R" in the number.

If you haven't already, untwist the caps off each wire, (test the resistance of each cap while they're apart), trim the wires back 1/4" or so, then re-install the caps & see how that reads.

Even better, replace the stock caps with some NGK ones (call Z1 & they will hook you up...). Just don't use resistor plugs with NGK caps, too much resistance that way & the spark will be weak
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

cap resistance

What is the resistance of the spark plug caps supposed to be?

Comment

Originally posted by mbwjr12 View Post
        What is the resistance of the spark plug caps supposed to be?
        5K each. SO of the 35K, 10K is the caps.
        The cap resistance goes up with age and usage, can go to almost infinite which then is no spark.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by fenderfreek View Post
          I seem to be getting a pretty weak spark on my 2/3 coil, but the 1/4 coil is sparking pretty strong. All plugs are NGK 9's gapped to .028. I checked the HT leads, expecting the 2/3 to come up very high but here's what I got instead -

2/3 HT wires, 35K Ohm(normal from what I can tell)
          1/4 HT wires, 75K Ohm(very high?)

It's exactly opposite what I thought it should be, so I'm at a loss here - is the 2/3 coil just bad?
          Describe what you see as "weak spark" and "Strong spark".

Yes, 75K is pretty high. Most likley due to one or both sparkplug caps failing. THose are only about $5 each to replace. But that doesnt seem to be the two you are having the spark problem on.

As stated before: also chack the resistance of the primary side of the coils.

Also maybe check voltage to the coils, although the conenctions to the 1/4 coil is right next to the 2/3 coil, so not much chance of a problem in the wiring. Maybe right at the connector on the coil....?

<< later note.
          Oh, now I see you note about already having the coil relay mod. SO you should be familair with the power to the coils. >>>

Last edited by Redman; 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Describe what you see as "weak spark" and "Strong spark".

Yes, 75K is pretty high. Most likley due to one or both sparkplug caps failing. THose are only about $5 each to replace. But that doesnt seem to be the two you are having the spark problem on.

As stated before: also chack the resistance of the primary side of the coils.

Also maybe check voltage to the coils, although the conenctions to the 1/4 coil is right next to the 2/3 coil, so not much chance of a problem in the wiring. Maybe right at the connector on the coil....?

<< later note.
            Oh, now I see you note about already having the coil relay mod. SO you should be familair with the power to the coils. >>>

The spark on 1/4 is a solid blue spark that goes straight from the center electrode to ground. On 2/3, it's small and purplish, and not consistent at all. I noticed it when I was using my colortune - the spark on those two was really sporadic, and I had to get the fuel mix pretty rich just to get any spark in those cylinders. I went ahead and got thenew boots from Z1 so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderfreek View Post
              The spark on 1/4 is a solid blue spark that goes straight from the center electrode to ground. On 2/3, it's small and purplish, and not consistent at all. I noticed it when I was using my colortune - the spark on those two was really sporadic, and I had to get the fuel mix pretty rich just to get any spark in those cylinders. I went ahead and got thenew boots from Z1 so we'll see how that goes.
              Couldn't hurt to also remove the sig gen cover & inspect/clean the pick-up areas. Might be a little gunked up on 2/3 side?

However, I did notice a vast improvement in spark quality when I replaced the caps on my stock coils with NGK ones - hope that fixes it for ya...

Good luck,

Mike
              '85 GS550L - SOLD
              '85 GS550E - SOLD
              '82 GS650GL - SOLD
              '81 GS750L - SOLD
              '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
              '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
              '82 GS1100G - SOLD
              '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Swap around caps and see if it makes a difference.
                Check connections on the 2&3 coil.
                Check resistance between the two leads on the coil in question and report findings.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X