Starter/Battery/altinator problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter/Battery/altinator problem

So I was riding on Saturday in the late evening and in Michigan it was around 40degrees. I stopped in the parking lot, grabbed some stuff at the grocerie store and when I went to start the bike the starter had a HELL of a time. Push down the button and it would try a couple times then slowly quit. It got to the point where I would hold down the starter button and nothing would happen. So the bike would not start. The only way I could get it to run is by push starting it.

So to my questions:

1.a Has anyone had any experience of the bike not starting in cold weather?

1.b Any lessons or solutions?

2 Will a push start hurt the bike?

No, none of us has ever had any problems starting our bikes, in either hot or cold weather.

Yes.

No.

Actually, I don't think the weather had anything to do with your lack of starting in this case. Usually, when the bike has trouble starting, it's for lack of electrical energy. Your battery appears to be not fully-charged. First thing to do is to grab your multi-meter (you do have one, right?), then look through The Stator Papers. They will tell you how to test the few components in your charging system so you will know whoat needs to be fixed/replaced. Hopefully it's just a bad connection somewhere in the system, but basically you need to make sure that the stator is putting out the right power, and that the rectifier/regulator (r/r) is controlling that power to charge the battery. The Stator Papers will help you determine what and how to test.

Another reason for a bike to not start when the bike is cold would be if the valves are out of adjustment, but you said you had already run the bike, then stopped it, so I would not suspect valves at this time.

And if you have to push start a bike, try to use third gear, or even fourth. Much easier on you and the drivetrain.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by thijones View Post

So to my questions:

1.a Yes, we all have.
      1.b Keep a good battery, charging system and a well tuned engine.
      2. Not unless you drop it.

Slow cranking can be a poorly charged battery or one that has too much internal resistance, just too old. Cold weather brings this out. It can also be a bad starter, or a problem with wiring. Charge your battery, do the tests in here:

Most likely a problem with the battery or the charging system, these bikes are thirty years old and have issues with charging if the electrical systems are not cared for.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thijones - i'm an OSU guy, but whatthehey, gonna try to help you anyway

As usual, Steve offers dead-on advice. If your starter just cranks slower and slower until it doesn't work like u described, it's the battery. The question is why did battery go flat, so you must do your "homework" and testing per Stator Papers as Steve said....testing is in #IV if want to cut to the chase and skip the theory.

I have ridden in equally chilly OH wheather and as long as battery was charged never had a problem in cold.

Ah the days when "bump starting" was "cool" and often necessary......nope won't hurt your bike. The older gs's like mine even have a kick starter (which can really mess u up if you do it wrong). I use 2nd gear but whatever works for you. Try to time your butt hitting the seat with letting the clutch out (for traction)....

Comment

Thanks you guys, looks like i have some work to do during the winter/off season.

Comment

Thi,

When colder the engine is harder to start, gas doesnt not vaprorize as well.
            When colder the battery has less power, most any chemical reactions is slower when cold.
            So the cold is working against you in multiple ways, but that is not the problem. THe problem is something else, and the cold wether is just making it worse.

Maybe can just ask if you know how old the battery is?

Do you have a trickle charger? (one amp or less).

YOu will want to check the charging system. Need a volt meter for that.

Where in general in Michigan are you?

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Thi,

When colder the engine is harder to start, gas doesnt not vaprorize as well.
              When colder the battery has less power, most any chemical reactions is slower when cold.
              So the cold is working against you in multiple ways, but that is not the problem. THe problem is something else, and the cold wether is just making it worse.

Maybe can just ask if you know how old the battery is?

Do you have a trickle charger? (one amp or less).

YOu will want to check the charging system. Need a volt meter for that.

Where in general in Michigan are you?

I don't know the answer to most of the questions about the bike. I do know that I live in Rochester, MI.

Comment

...maybe is time for a good carb clean, rebuild and adjust.
                this solved me to many problems related to hard start in cold weather..
                Try to follow the carbs clean up procedures in this page.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X