Easy Re-Wiring help? GS550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy Re-Wiring help? GS550T

I've removed the stock air box which holds a lot of the electrical components in place. Now I have a big bundle of wires everywhere and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I've came up with two solutions..

A) Rip all the unneeded wiring out. Leave only what's needed to start the bike with headlights on and brake light; no turn signals,no high beam low beam switch, yada yada no safety features. Possibly leave the speedo backlight and neutral light would be nice

B) Weld a small metal box next to the battery box and stuff all of these electrical components into in (this means i have to find what needs to be grounded.. and make sure nothing is touching.. And probably a lot of trial and error to get it back to normal)

If I can I'd like to get a re-wrote SIMPLE wiring diagram and just cut out the fat. The more simple the better

Can anyone help me? I can post pictures of all this mess if it helps

thanks!

If you want simple, make a bracket so you can tie off the harness bundle. Done.

Stripping out the unneeded wires is going to take a lot of work unwrapping the harness, removing wires, etc. Plus you are going to have to spend a lot of time chasing wires around and studying the wiring diagram since it's very unlikely to find someone that can present you will a simplified instruction sheet on how to do this work for your specific bike.

Thanks for reminding me of why I don't like pods. Oh, and I hope you rejetted your carbs for the pods too.
    Last edited by Nessism; 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Let the games begin! Lots of people round these here parts cringe at the very thought of modifying a GS into non stock form. Ripping out the wiring, LMAO!

Those of us who dont(cringe) cant really help ya much either cause those of us who have done just what your talking about have no idea how we did it.
      I have a tail, sigs, headlight, high/low and a speedo indicator light. Front and rear bake light. Thats it. No safety switches, sidestand crap or nothing else that can go wrong with the bike. Those of us who know how to ride a bike dont need a silly willy light to tell us what gear we're in either. Sheesh thats the goofiest thing I've ever seen on a bike.

All joking aside though.
      Your gonna need a good battery.
      A multi meter, a decent one.
      Some various wire connectors and some good crimpers.
      Some large and some small diameter shrink wrap. I also used shrinkable connectors.
      A color wiring diagram and a whole lotta time.
      No one person can tell ya want you wanna know. Its something you pretty much just gotta figure out on your own.
      Find a freind.... Two heads are better than one.

Keep us posted. We need more of your kinda around here.
      Last edited by Octain; 10-12-2009, 03:21 PM. Reason: forgot about the brake lights
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I know what your going through baxter,I got a bike the wiring is chop up hack up and I am going through it to get what does not need to be, I think it would be nice to get a simple wiring lay out like some of the custom bike use
        Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          If you want simple, make a bracket so you can tie off the harness bundle. Done.

Stripping out the unneeded wires is going to take a lot of work unwrapping the harness, removing wires, etc. Plus you are going to have to spend a lot of time chasing wires around and studying the wiring diagram since it's very unlikely to find someone that can present you will a simplified instruction sheet on how to do this work for your specific bike.

Thanks for reminding me of why I don't like pods. Oh, and I hope you rejetted your carbs for the pods too.

*Ripping* all the old wiring out requires the use of pods?
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by ramrod400 View Post
            I know what your going mean baxter,I got a bike the wiring is chop up hack up and I am going throught it to get what does not need to be, I think it would be nice to get a simple wiring lay out like some of the custom bike use
            Hows this for simple?

sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

Comment

whats are these pods you speak of, i think wire have nothing to do with it........... not simple enought for me like the cartoon though
              Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

The (dont do it brigade) will come after you

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                  *Ripping* all the old wiring out requires the use of pods?
                  Originally posted by Joe Don Baxer
                  I've removed the stock air box which holds a lot of the electrical components in place. Now I have a big bundle of wires everywhere and I'm not sure what to do about it.
                  Removing the stock airbox = adding pod (unless Joe is going sans filters, which I hope he is not)
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

just foolin around ,my gs 550 is my first.Came with some new pods So I put them on had nothing electrical connected.

Comment

Joe don - yeah, post some pics please. (what part of OH? btw..i iz an OH boy 2)

My GS has been w/out stock airbox and with K&Ns for so long (more than 20yrs), I actually just had to go out to it and remove the tank to see what is it I did with wires (you might have more tho with 81 vs my 78).

I just tucked then up under the tank with zip ties. Clean, no problems (other than my charging sys problems which should have nothing to do w/ airbox removal...)

Some no so good pics in another post of mine if ur interested (kinda long...go to page 2 or 3)
                      This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Agreeing w Nessism - you MUST must must rejet.

ps Octain- i think he's saying the opposite - adding pods will require him to "rip out" wires (not visa versa). Like I said above, let's see pics....
                      pps Octain - I kinda LIKE my gear indicator light

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Removing the stock airbox = adding pod (unless Joe is going sans filters, which I hope he is not)
                        You've never removed your stock airbox?
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                          You've never removed your stock airbox?
                          Stock Airbox = GS Love
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewpogany View Post
                            Joe don - yeah, post some pics please. (what part of OH? btw..i iz an OH boy 2)

My GS has been w/out stock airbox and with K&Ns for so long (more than 20yrs), I actually just had to go out to it and remove the tank to see what is it I did with wires (you might have more tho with 81 vs my 78).

I just tucked then up under the tank with zip ties. Clean, no problems (other than my charging sys problems which should have nothing to do w/ airbox removal...)

Some no so good pics in another post of mine if ur interested (kinda long...go to page 2 or 3)
                            This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Agreeing w Nessism - you MUST must must rejet.

ps Octain- i think he's saying the opposite - adding pods will require him to "rip out" wires (not visa versa). Like I said above, let's see pics....
                            pps Octain - I kinda LIKE my gear indicator light
                            Thanks for the under tank tuck suggestion. It looks like you still use your stock side covers, whereas I've already removed and grinded off the holsters for them too lol. I'm really in to the bare empty look I've got all winter to get this right I don't mind a little finagglin around

*Dayton, OH

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Don Baxter View Post
                              *Dayton, OH
                              Just so you know, there are several of us within spittin' distance, so holler if you need some local (or is that loco ) help.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X